Skip to main content

Seasons

When I first read this week's writing prompt--do I have a favorite season and if so, why--the song "If Ever I Would Leave You" started swirling in my head. Sung by Robert Goulet of course. Robert Goulet was big in our house in the early 1960s. He was Canadian, classically handsome with a gorgeous voice.

Anyway, why would I associate that song with this week's writing prompt? Well the song is about love and seasons--Lancelot singing to Guinevere about how he could never leave her at any time. And that goes along with my musings about seasons because my feelings around the changing seasons had so very much to do with love.

Montreal, my hometown, has very distinct seasons. Spring is green and softly warm, Summer is humid and hot, Fall is a riot of reds and golds and greens and nippy and Winter is freeze your face off cold. I enjoyed all of the seasons because each held something that I loved. The photo below is of my home for the first 17 years of my life--6797 34th Avenue.



Spring had Easter with a new Spring coat and hat and dress (even if I still had to wear ear muffs under the hat) and the Easter bunny. Laura Secord chocolate eggs, lavishly decorated and sickenly sweet. A special Easter lunch out at the Cafe at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel. My birthday in May. Family occasions where we came together and played happy family.

The "official" beginning of Summer coincided with the last day of school. The 24th of June, St Jean Baptiste Day, with fireworks and parades. Unfortunately as I entered my teens the political issues in Quebec brought sadness and strife to that holiday. Exactly a week later came Canada Day, July 1st, with more fireworks. And, again, more politics. But when I was young politics didn't matter. Summer was here, with long hot days spent lounging in the backyard reading books and going to the local swimming pool. The highlight of my summers was my father's two-week vacation where we would drive down to Brome Lake or to Ripplecove Inn in the Eastern Townships and swim in the lake, water ski, meet up with summer friends. Summer romances. And summer heartbreak too. Although those days are long ago and I now live in southern Arizona, I can conjure up those memories whenever I read Louise Penny's novels about Three Pines.

Labor Day weekend meant the end of Summer. The family would usually take a weekend car ride to New Hampshire or to Vermont, visiting family friends. I would be excited, thinking about a new school year ahead, hoping for good things to happen. The heat of summer usually quickly gave way to chillier nights although we often would have Indian Summer in October, right around Canadian Thanksgiving, which happens on the second Monday in October. And it was a very rare year when Montreal wasn't ablaze with the Fall colors. Walking on Mount Royal with the brightly colored leaves swirling around was such fun, especially in my later teens, when I had a special someone to walk with.

But Fall is a short season as well, lasting from September to end October. November comes and the skies turn grey. The temperatures drop lower and lower and the snow arrives. And stays until March or sometimes even to May. I well remember in my first decade being layered up in snowsuit and mittens, a scarf tied around my mouth, and sent out to play on the snow mountains that surrounded our bungalow. We built forts, snowmen, cleared the snow from the backyard to make an ice rink. Battled the icy blasts to walk the six blocks to school. Mount Royal became the place to go tobogganing and skating on Beaver Lake. December came with all of its Christmas magic. Going downtown with my mother and grandmother to Ste Catherine Street to see the decorations in the department store windows. Having lunch on the 9th floor of Eatons and seeing the magical place there that was Toyland. Watching the Santa Claus Parade in early December, freezing my toes off. The big party that was held on Christmas Eve--Reveillon--and midnight Mass.



Another song that comes to mind is "It Was a Very Good Year," sung by Frank Sinatra. He sings "But now the days grow short, I'm in the autumn of  my years...." I am in the autumn of my years and the seasons pass without the excitement I once felt. Part of that could be because I live in an area where there is no real Winter or Spring or Fall. Oh, the desert DOES bloom and then turn brown in the colder weather. And I found this morning that instead of my usual thin t-shirt, I had to shrug on a hoodie to take the dog for a walk. But there are no seasons like I remember as a child. And those loved ones who were so much a part of those past seasons are all gone. And I miss them.

Comments

  1. That is the hardest part, the memories of those who are gone.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I