Skip to main content

Finally Cork

Cork City is Ireland's second biggest city (a whopping 125,000-odd souls) and only about 2.5 hours from where we live. I had been meaning to go there for months--can one leave Ireland and not see Ireland's second biggest city?--and we finally made it on April 28th. We decided to go by bus, because it is free for Richard and companion as seniors, an adventure in and of itself.

Our first attempt was actually on April 27th. Buses run every hour and a half from Dunmore East and I thought that I had read that a bus would leave in sufficient time for us to catch the bus to Cork. Unfortunately, I read the wrong timetable--I read FROM Waterford TO Dunmore East instead of FROM Dunmore East TO Waterford. I have a lot of trouble reading timetables. 

So I watched our bus to Waterford go by as I was walking the dog. Sigh. As the bus journey is so long each way, that put paid to our trip on April 27th. The next day we were better prepared. The bus timetable said that the bus left at 7:50 and we were down at 7:45. No bus at 7:50, no bus at 7:55 and no bus at 8:00. I popped into our local grocery store and the lovely lady behind the cash register said "Oh, that bus goes early, it leaves at 7:40 for the school kids." Hmmm, so much for bus timetables. 

We looked at each other and said "Well the bus to Cork leaves Waterford station at 9:00, we could just drive the car there (usually a 20-minute drive) and park it on the Quay." So we hurried back up to the house and jumped in the car. Rush hour traffic meant we pulled into a parking spot at the Quay at 8:50. Fumbling to get a parking voucher used up another 5 minutes and then we quick marched our way to the station, arriving at 8:58. We got on the bus and asked the bus driver, "Are you the bus to Cork?" He answered "No, I am the DRIVER for the bus to Cork." Whatever, we were on and he departed at 8:59. Note to self: always arrive early for buses.

The bus ride to Cork was long. It stopped about 12 times and each time more people got on so that we were full by the time we got to Cork at 11:25. We disembarked and R. said "Well, where shall we go?" I had looked up the Top 10 Things To Do in Cork on TripAdvisor, discounted anything that was geared towards kids or involved driving, and came up with The Crawford Gallery.

 Housed in Cork's original Custom House built in 1924, the collection began in 1819 when the Cork Society of Arts received a collection of sculpture casts from the Vatican (see photo below.) It grew and grew and although it is not huge, the exhibitions are well chosen and very interesting. Richard, the art hound, gave his seal of approval and THAT is saying a lot! The Gallery charges no admission and has a lovely, small cafe on site that serves organic produce. It doesn't even sell diet sodas so I had a "Curiosity Cola" which actually was very good.

Hall of Sculptures, casts donated by Vatican Museums

Looking toward staircase to first floor. 

 The Gallery also houses a collection of Harry Clarke's work. Clarke is considered Ireland's greatest stained glass artist as well as being an amazing book illustrator. He lived from 1889-1931 and produced stained glass works that hang in Cork, Dublin and even Miami, Florida. He also illustrated an edition of Hans Christian Anderson's Fairy Tales. 







The above work, which is in the Wolfsonian Museum in Miami, is Clarke's representation of  works of famous Irish writers. I didn't take this photo but the stained glass was so magnificent I had to include it in my blog. 




For some reason this was my favorite painting--"Skellig Night on South Mall Cork, 1845" by James Beale. I thought the colors were so appropriate to the theme and, well, in "real life" it glowed. There were some very good portraits as well and if you visit the Caldwell Museum website you can see some of them.

After a very healthy organic lunch in the cafe, we left the art gallery and walked to St. Fin Barre's Cathedral.









 Cork is a lively city full of music, very attractive even on a gray Friday. It also has many churches. St. Fin Barre's is one of the largest, a COI Cathedral, begun in the mid 1860s and done in the Victorian style. Lonely Planet describes it as a mixture of medieval whimsy and French Gothic. The outside of it is truly magnificent as is the interior. I was especially drawn to the carvings of the maidens outside the Cathedral doors. Whom do they represent? The 10 Virgins in the New Testament parable? That was my guess and I was quite pleased when I got home and Google'd it to see that I was right!


And some photos of the magnificent interior:

My photos really don't do it justice at all. 

I took a photo of the ceiling in the nave. A little dizzying eh?
The stained glass tells the story of the Bible from Genesis, at the Cathedral entrance up to the New Testament near the altar. As well there were gilded plaques all along the wall memorializing various COI families in Cork that donated money for the stained glass. I took photos of many of the plaques and they have been posted on our genealogy website.



This mosaic floor was beautiful but difficult to photograph.
























We realized that we had better get going for our 3:00 bus but when we arrived at the Cork Bus Station at 2:40 we found we had miscalculated--this was the Friday of a Bank Holiday weekend and students at Cork University were going home with bags of laundry. So were families. The line for the 3:00 bus snaked back from the platform into the terminal. We almost made it--would have if we had been one person. But, no, we were two so we had to wait another half hour for the next bus. Was glad that we had left our car in Waterford because if we HAD caught the Dunmore East bus as planned in the morning, we would have missed the last Dunmore East bus home at 6:00 and we would really have been stuck. So all's well that end's well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I