Skip to main content

Irish History & Liberty -- Cavan County Museum Part 2

Even after living here for almost 10 months, the 1916 Easter Rising hadn't really touched me emotionally. I think in this age of terrorism, when there is so much violence associated with protest and nationalism, I had put the Rising into a small part of my brain. It failed, it (in my mind) gave rise to the horrors of The Troubles, I just didn't empathize with it.

That changed when I walked through the Museum's exhibit on Freedom and Peace. The Museum has created it as a literal pathway. To quote from the Museum's webpage "Visitors to the museum can now take a ‘walk through time’ and choose a route which will ultimately lead to World War One or to the GPO. They can explore the shared theme of loss and its impact. This is physically achieved through both experiences ending in the dedicated reflective space of the museums ‘Peace Garden’." The GPO is the General Post Office in Dublin where the rebels made their stand against the English army between April 24-29, 1916. The Museum has created a facade of the GPO in their park:


It looks quite "real". The path that leads to it is marked with railings with small cards on them explaining the long history of Ireland politically--the Normans, Cromwell, the fight for a republic with the 1798 Rebellion, the skirmishes that continued, the fight for Irish Home Rule. Home Rule had actually been passed by the British Parliament in 1914 but implementation was postponed because of World War 1. And that was actually why many Irishmen fought for England in World War 1 even though many thought it was an imperial war on behalf of a country that had ignored their requests for their own liberty. Even republicans, however, argued that if Ireland backed the British Government in World War 1, then when England won, they would agree to an Irish republic.

It was not to be. The ins and outs of the war for Irish independence are way too complex for me to put in my blog. A major problem was, as in many revolutionary groups, there were moderates and radicals. The moderates wanted to fight the battle for independence in Westminster, the radicals wanted to fight it guerrilla style on Irish soil. It didn't help further after the 1916 Rising that the British government tried to enact conscription in 1918, for a war where the toll (see my previous blog) was already so high.

But back to 1916. As I walked through the exhibit inside the facade, I was struck by how divided most Irish were over the revolutionaries' tactics and by their taking over various buildings. During the actual Rising, most Dubliners were annoyed by the revolutionaries. As I read the signs, I was reminded of the FLQ Crisis which I lived through in 1969. I was a college student in Montreal and was actually glad when the Canadian Army took over the streets of downtown. Order was restored and order was so much "safer." I didn't identify with the FLQ cause. Trudeau's response--to enact the War Measures Act--was over the top for many intellectuals though and I believe it sowed the seeds for what we eventually saw. The legitimization of the Parti Quebecois and the eventual backlash against the Anglos in Quebec. But that's another story....

The British government executed, by firing squad, all of the leaders of the Rising who had surrendered. They arrested thousands of nationalists. They even executed some who had never fired a shot, like the pacifist Francis Skeffington. It was as I read this poem that a little flame lit inside of me:


Skeffington had represented the moderates. By shooting him and imprisoning other moderates, the British government turned public opinion toward the republican cause. I guess there still is some of the young pacifist liberal inside of me, the one who listened to and discussed so deeply in university the rights of the poor, the injustice of foreign governments supporting corrupt governments. Was the British government horrible to the Irish? Absolutely. All I have to think of is one word--the Famine. A 19th century Irish poet, William Allingham, described the abuse in his poem "The Workhouse":



But there is peace in Ireland now--well, in most places. There are still a few incidents of IRA and Orange thuggery in various places in the North, but the 1998 Good Friday Accord has held. The thuggery has more to do with bullying and pettiness than any kind of freedom fighting. But peace reigns, we walk Irish streets with a freedom not felt in so many places nowadays. And may it ever be so--it is time to beat the swords into plowshares:

"And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more." (Isaiah 2:4)

After looking at this exhibit, much as my heart goes out to Ireland, much as I am sure that some of my ancestors were either victims of, or rebels against, imperialism, I know that we have to be peacemakers, we have to learn from the past, not repeat it. That was probably one of the greatest things I took away from the Cavan Museum.



Photos: World War 1 grave on left, place where 1916 rebels were executed by firing squad on right.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I