Skip to main content

To all the airports I've experienced before (Part Two)

It's been over three weeks since I returned from Ireland. And my body is still adjusting. I finally got an average of almost 7 hours of sleep last week but today I am back to feeling tired. Being 66 is very different from being 65 bodywise. Last year at this time I accomplished moving back from Ireland after our 10-month adventure, being homeless for over a month, with not as much fatigue and angst as I feel now. Can one tiny year make that much of a difference?

I have actually traveled quite a bit this year though. We went to Bermuda at the beginning of April, were back a week and then went to Alberta for mother-in-law's funeral (4 days there and back courtesy of Allegiant Air). In the middle of June I took eldest granddaughter to Vancouver to inspire her to think about going to university at UBC. I had already taken her to Washington DC and to Montreal/Ottawa in years past. But, when I think back to June, I did feel much more tired on that trip than I had before. Hmmm. 

And then a few weeks ago, I had my ten days' traversing the width of Ireland, photographing headstones and meandering down (meandering--hah! that is a gentle word for gut-wrenching terror) narrow Irish roads looking for new cemeteries to photograph and my grandmother's ancestral farm in Cavan. I didn't actually find the farm but I finally found where the farm had been located. A very nice man with the surname Kelly stood outside his house and swept his arm over the land on the other side of his fence and said that that had been O'Reilly land before his great grandfather Kelly bought it from them. My great grandfather had actually already left the land before that though. I have always had a sneaky suspicion it was because of my great grandmother taking a pitchfork to the neighbors over fence lines.... At any rate, it was special to stand at the very place where they had farmed and argued and where my grandmother had been born.






The bottom photo, according to Mr. Kelly, shows where the peat bog used to be. He said the peat gave out a long time ago so it reverted back to forest. I wonder whether, when Grandma would go to Brome Lake in the Eastern Townships, she would ever look at the woods and the lake and be reminded of her childhood home.

The other exciting happening was proof that one should always listen to the Spirit, that small voice that tells you to do something. Before I went to Ireland, I had planned to spend four days in Clare, two days in Meath and then two days in Cavan before going back to Dublin to overnight before the plane ride home. But as I was heading from Clare to meet my friend Ann Marie at the Carlow County Fair on Sunday, I thought to myself "Oh, I have been to Cavan four times before and never found anything. Maybe I should ditch going to Cavan and go to Waterford instead, see my friends and visit Dunmore East again." When I met Ann Marie at the Fair, I told her what I was thinking and she, a genealogist herself, said "Why not give it one more go?" And the Spirit said to me, "Listen to her." So I did. As I had done three times previously, I went to Cavan Library. This time, though, I DID have my great grandfather's death date, May 29 1912. A week after my mother's birth in Montreal. Something I hadn't had before. Because I knew the date, the librarian suggested I look up newspaper archives, the Anglo Celt, for that month and year. And, blessing of all blessings, the Anglo Celt is digitized! The very helpful young librarian keyed in the information for me and this is what appeared:


My great grandfather's obituary! Suddenly what had been a statistic became a person, a person who had been "respected resident of Belturbet." He had relatives; sadly because the obit doesn't give the full first names, I haven't been able to match them to anyone yet, but I am still again closer than I have ever been before.

So, it was a good trip to Ireland. 

Once again, though, the trip home meant long waits in airports--Dublin and Atlanta again. Airlines strongly (read: you could end up in big trouble if you don't make it the gate in time) recommend a three-hour-before arrival at Dublin for an international flight. The better to buy things at the huge mall there. And, because of Delta scheduling, I arrived in Atlanta five hours before the next flight was due to board for Tucson. The airport was very noisy and there were no comfortable chairs to be had. By the time I boarded the flight to Tucson all I really wanted to do was sleep but even in First Class, the seats are not really conducive to curling up and going to sleep.

Still, I arrived home safely with more memories and over a thousand headstones to add to igp-web for other researchers. Some of my favorite photos from the end of my trip:
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I