Skip to main content

First day at sea and already two incidents

As I was walking around the deck after dinner last night (3 times=1.1 miles) I heard someone crying “help, help us.” It was at about 8:30 pm and the first thought that went through my mind was “is someone overboard?” I ventured a glance over the side—the boat has been rocking a bit in the heavy swells—but couldn’t see anything but white foam on dark waves. Then I heard the voice again and realized it was coming from above me. I called out and the person said “We are locked out on our balcony. Please send someone to help us.” I asked them what their stateroom number was, 12004. I was on deck 7. So I found the nearest place to ask for help, the spa, and the assistants there called the purser. I hope that it wasn’t some kind of prank; a bit early in the voyage for that kind of thing. They asked for my room number too. I thought that I would either be feted with a “thank you” card (or maybe another bottle of wine, see below) or else severely chastised for being part of the prank. But neither happened. I do hope that they have learned how their outer door works now. We have a balcony but it is obstructed by a lifeboat. And today is very foggy and wet so we probably won’t be sitting outside today.

Dinner in the Britannia dining room last night was very good. As it was Easter Sunday, lamb was on the menu but I just can’t bring myself to eat lamb at Easter. So I have turkey and it was delicious. The portions aren’t large, which is good, as there is a salad course (I had green salad) and dessert (not that I am force to eat it.) And two Godiva chocolates as a final finish. Hence the walk around the deck. The couple at the table with us were from Birmingham (UK) and very pleasant. And there was a young family at the table beside us from Harrowgate. Two sweet little children, a boy and girl. The girl fell asleep within 15 minutes of their sitting down so Dad took her back to the room. I did find the dining room noisy with my hearing aids on. It’s a bit of Catch-22, I need them to hear what people beside me are saying but the ambient noise really bothers me. Oh well. 

Then this morning as we were (once again) walking around the deck on our post-breakfast (kedgeree and kipper and bran cereal) perambulations, the ship’s captain came over the loudspeaker and said that a passenger had taken seriously ill so the ship was taking a slight detour towards the coast where a Coast Guard helicopter would be sent out to take them off the boat. I thought he said Cape Cod but that can’t be. If we sailed from New York, we would be north so it is probably some place in Maine. In fact, as I type this in the ship’s library, I can hear the helicopter coming. How awful to be taken ill, especially on the first night of one’s cruise. I hope it is an American passenger—at least they will be taken back to the U.S. If it is a British passenger, their voyage will be prolonged and then there are the American health care fees....



I am sitting on the twin of that couch. Quite comfortable although I have such a temptation to curl my feet up (probably not done.) The ship is still rolling a bit but it feels okay to me, a slight headache and that is all. I slept well last night except that the duvet was heavy. The very kind stewardess for our cabin, Viktoria, said she could bring me a lighter blanket for tonight. So much appreciated! We gave her the complimentary bottle of wine that had been provided as a welcome. So funny—the wine was free but had we wanted to drink either of the two bottles of water (sparkling or still) it would have been $3.00 each. I am really glad I brought my dozen Coke Zero cans on board. The “soft drinks package” is $14 a day!

There is a lecture this morning at 11:00 am on Nat King Cole, one of my mother’s favorite singers. We met the man who will be speaking when we were on deck yesterday. A typical British raconteur so the lecture could be quite interesting. And then a Spanish guitar concert at 2:15 this afternoon. There is also a dance exhibition tonight that I will probably go to although I doubt that R will. Who knows though, sometimes he surprises me.

And now to my book. I have downloaded 6 on my Kindle and am currently alternating between “The Little Paris Bookshop: A Novel,” about a bookseller who owns a floating bookshop on the Seine, and another of my series of Sebastian St. Cyr mysteries, “Who Slays the Wicked.” The latter is set in Regency times and I have enjoyed the last 13. Funny coincidence, this is #14 in the series and in the other mystery book series that I enjoy, Wesley Peterson, I am also on #14, “The Flesh Tailor.” Sounds gross but it actually refers to medieval meat cutters I think. I shall find out. 

I have now moved to a window seat in the library:



Yes, a lot of fog out there. I haven’t heard the helicopter again so either it is still loading the poor passenger (prayers for him/her and anyone travelling with them) or else it took off very quietly. (Note: about 20 minutes after writing that, just as I was nodding over my book, I heard the helicopter take off. Noises seem softer in the fog, and now we continue our journey on the Atlantic while the unnamed passenger goes back to land and, hopefully, recovered health. A reminder of my amnesia of last month, hope that never happens again.) 

Awhile later: we did go to the Spanish guitar concert. I enjoyed the pieces he played and thought he was very good. He had one that he himself had composed, about London, that I especially liked. The fog has lifted outside but there are very high winds. I did do my final mile around the ship but my goodness it was hard. Felt very good at the end though ;)







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I