Skip to main content

Coronavirus reflections

What do you say about an epidemic that has changed so much of life? I look back to two and a half months ago and at the time it seemed that the virus was like a flu. A bad flu, yes. But was it going to affect our lives? I didn't have a clue about how much. 

On March 18th I wrote about how my trip to Ireland had been cancelled and there was a shortage of toilet paper and ground beef in the stores. But we hadn't yet been given the "stay at home" order and many businesses were still open. That changed on March 31st when Governor Ducey said that only essential businesses would be able to stay open. There was some confusion at first as to what an "essential" business was but it eventually came down to groceries, pharmacies, hardware stores and doctor's offices of course. The big hardware stores like Lowes and Home Depot were allowed to remain open which meant that their garden centers could remain open.

Something that proved a boon for Richard as he planted our garden in the backyard 




Neither of us are very knowledgeable about keeping plants alive in the desert though. Richard loves to watch gardening shows but they are all about European or English gardens. Very different from here! So maintaining the garden has devolved onto me and every morning after I walk Mitzi I go out and check the moisture in the soil with my trust meter and water those that need it.

I am also in the process of trying to ensure the roses don't die. In the bottom photo, the rose bush had just been planted with several blooms. Those blooms matured and died and for awhile it looked like the whole plant was going to die. But I learned from my rose bush losses last year and I have been spraying fungicide like crazy and ensuring that the roses get plenty of water. Right now it looks like I am winning the battle.

I have been mainly staying at home since March 31st and I get up early every Tuesday morning and go "senior shopping" at Safeway. No more Saturday shopping for me, I avoid the crowds and, since two weeks ago, I wear a mask. We've been advised to do so although it's not mandatory. I hadn't seen Laurie and the family for a few weeks either but as of today, the governor has said we can go out "carefully." They've said the same thing in England. Everyone is quite nervous because the virus is far from over but the economy of most countries is tanking. Governments feel, and there's been a lot of agitation in the United States in agreement with this, that things have to reopen or we will slide into a worse economic depression than we are already in.

So our restaurants here in Sierra Vista are opening for dining in--with social distancing in place. I will be able to get my hair cut in a week. Mitzi may be able to go to PetSmart for her bath & beauty treatment soon although it's booked solid right now.

Traveling anywhere is still problematic. Within the United States, there are differences from state to state as to what is open and what is not. It's too early to consider getting away for a few days, much as we would love to. The border between the United States and Canada is closed for casual travel. Canada wants to keep the border closed for another month. Given that the U.S. has the highest number of coronavirus cases and deaths in the world, I can't blame them. And as for traveling overseas, yes, technically I could fly over but I would have to self-isolate for two weeks. And I don't know quite what that means, nor do the UK or Irish gov'ts. Does it mean I couldn't go to a grocery store? Probably, because my friends in Vancouver were confined to their homes when they went back to Canada from a trip to South America. Friends of theirs delivered groceries to them.

So, while I would still like to think that I will be able to go to Ireland in September, the reality is right now, who knows? Give it another month, things will become clearer.

In the meantime, I will continue to transcribe any cemetery files I receive from Ireland Genealogy Projects, work on my own transcription project in FamilySearch, read books, watch Father Brown, walk Mitzi, etc., etc.... And pray for people who have it much harder than I have. My life hasn't been badly impacted, I so wish the same could be true for other people.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I