Skip to main content

Of Weddings and Time Passing

 Eighteen years ago my daughter got married at Mount Timpanogos in Utah. It was a very, very hot day and because "Timp" was the IN Temple for BYU students that year, the only slot that was available for the sealing--Mormon-speak for the marriage ceremony--was at 5 p.m., when it was still very hot and the temple was mobbed. We were lucky that the photographer managed to get shots without swarms of people around. 

The wedding photos show us all lined up for the official photograph in front of the Temple, sweating in our wedding gear, R wearing his weird cowboy shirt and odd tie in a sea of suits with the Mormon standard white shirts and ties. I think I will just share this one, with the four of us, Richard and I a little stunned. 




It would have been so nice had we had the wedding in Canada, with friends and family from our own side. Instead, it was in Utah, where neither set of parents lived but which was where the bride and groom wanted it to be. CJ's family, whom we met for the first time on the day of the wedding, came out in force as they lived much closer than our side of the family did, in California and in Utah. Still, with my family mostly deceased, I had the feeling in the Temple that they WERE there, witnessing in spirit if not in body.


Still, my late mother-in-law made it down from Alberta, bless her, and my maternal cousin, Kathleen, traveled all the way from Montreal. We had, of course, sent her a wedding invitation, never expecting she would come as, in those days, she wasn't one for traveling. So, when she called me up and said she was coming I was surprised. I felt I had to tell her that she wouldn't actually "witness" the wedding itself as Mormon temple weddings are restricted to Mormons who hold temple recommends. But she reassured me that she actually knew that, a work colleague had explained it to her. But she felt it was important that someone from "our" side of the family came. And in the end, as she was my only relative there, it meant a lot. 

Family and friends DO mean a lot; it's taken me many years to realize just how much. I knew, that terrible year of 1968, when four of my family died and one moved hundreds of miles away, to the U.S., that my life had been shattered. But with such enormous loss comes a kind of numbness, a kind of "I can't process anything more so I am just shutting down." A fear of making new relationships because of a fear of further loss. It's difficult to express.

Recently, I have been reading about mindfulness, quite popular recently. It comes from the Buddhist tradition of noticing what we are thinking and feeling, of pulling the mind back when it goes on auto pilot. There's a Buddhist saying:
  • What we cannot hold, we cannot process.
  • What we cannot process, we cannot transform.
  • What we cannot transform, haunts us.
I couldn't "hold" all that grief in 1968. I just somehow shut down, in a way that I can't even explain today. Yes, I still went through the motions of life. I sought pleasure where I could find it even when that pleasure was painful. I survived even when I had no clue what I was doing. I remember telling my father once, when we were in the midst of one of our arguments, that I didn't know who "I" was and I didn't think I would ever know as long as I lived under his roof. But that wasn't really the solution, moving out. He wasn't the one preventing me from discovering who I was. It would take many years to learn that and even now, at 68, I still consider myself a work in progress.

As I reflect on the 52 years between that horrible year where my life went sideways, to the 41 years since Laurie's birth forced me to re-evaluate how I had been living my life, the 22 years since my own marriage again forced a re-evaluation and the 18 years since Laurie's marriage, 16 years since my first grandchild's birth . . . I realize that as the Buddhists say, life IS constantly changing and the feelings that we have about our life, our situation, are fleeting even if, at the time, it seems those feelings will be there forever. Pain and even love, those emotions/feelings come and go, come and go. "We" call them back in our subconscious, often to our detriment. 

Golly, this is deep stuff and as I write it, I realize that I am still trying to understand how it all works--this deep stuff anyway. I was chatting with a dog-walking friend this morning, Jeanie, and saying that in this time of pandemic, I feel a kind of responsibility, as the senior generation, to tell the younger folk that this too shall pass, that generations previous faced similar, and worse challenges and we all came through. It's hard to do while we are isolated and locked away. Jeanie, in her wisdom, said we start with our nearest and dearest, being present for them, presenting a calm and happy face to them. Not burdening them overmuch but simply being there....

Good words to chew over on this hot Arizona day.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I