Skip to main content

Wednesday, April 26, 2022 Art Galleries

 After yesterday’s sunshine, today’s weather was overcast and chilly. Well, I said chilly this morning because I didn’t want to sound like a wimpy Arizonan but my Londoner cousin commented, “Freezing!” It wasn’t freezing, it was in the low 40s but I was certainly glad I had bought that warm jacket!

I didn’t sleep very well last night, probably the heavy 5 Guys hamburger and fries I had in Richmond and the Coke Zero at 5:00 pm. Plus at around midnight a couple were in the hall arguing. I wanted to poke my head out and ask them to take it inside their room but these days you just don’t know who you’re dealing with. The argument only lasted about 5 minutes before they went inside the room. And about 10 minutes later I heard footsteps outside our room heading for the stairs. Shades of my crime novel, which I probably should also not have stayed p reading.

All was quiet this morning though, no detectives knocking on our door asking if we’d heard any goings on in the next room…. I didn’t get dressed very quickly though, took my time waking up. Richard was raring to go so he went outside and sketched the hotel and gardens again. I really do think the man must be a popsicle tonight; he’s already gone to bed fully clothed although he said he felt fine. He only wore a sweatshirt all the way around London today.

Yes, London. We took the Tube to Charing Cross this morning and went to the National Gallery. Last September when I’d visited I’d only had time to do “Route 1” which consisted of the early and late Renaissance painters. Today we went through the rooms dedicated to painters from the 1500s on—Italian, Dutch, French. My favorite room, as usual, contained some of the great Impressionists. Here are two photos of one of the hallways and the paintings I liked the best:











It’s not possible for us to see room after room of art and not feel overwhelmed. We spent about an hour and a half at the National Gallery and then looked for some lunch, settling on two starters at an Italian restaurant. Food is expensive in all but fast food restaurants; I am quickly overcoming my embarrassment at “only” ordering starters at restaurants when the menu is too pricey.

We walked up Pall Mall and I took some photos in St. James’s Park:





The day was obviously not going to be sunny; no rain but overcast and so cold. I wanted to pay my respects at one old Wren Church, St. James’s, which I had stopped at in September, and then we headed back to Wimbledon. The churches in London provide welcome daytime shelter for the homeless; warmth on cold days like this, free cups of tea and probably food as well:








I saw someone sleeping under a tree in St. James’s Park, wrapped tightly in a sleeping bag. How thankful I was to be going home to a warm room in a hotel—totally humbled because, really, how was it that I made it through my life to have these comforts now? When we were approaching the hotel we saw a Thai restaurant called “Giggly Squid” (yes, really) and we stopped in for warm plates of food. Again, how is it that I survived after all my mistakes. And yet, there’s that Barbra Streisand songs with the lyrics:

They say there's a universal plan
For every woman, for every man
I do believe there's a higher power
But in our darkest hour it's hard to understand
So we start to question, start to doubt
We lose faith in what life's all about

Why did the right road take the wrong turn
Why did our heart break, why'd we get burned
Just like the seasons there are reasons for the path we take
There are no mistakes
Just lessons to be learned

Don't give up, keep on looking deep inside
Let your heartbeat be your guide
Because there's a gift, for those who keep believing
You'll find what you've been needing is right before your eyes

Then you'll know, you'll finally understand

Why did the right road take a wrong turn
Why did our heart break, why'd we get burned
Just like the seasons there are reasons for the path we take
There are no mistakes
Just lessons to be learned

No matter how many times you stumble or fall
The greatest lesson is loving yourself through it all

Why did the right road take a wrong turn
Why did our heart break, why'd we get burned
Just like the seasons, there are reasons for the path we take

There are no mistakes
Just lessons
Lessons to be learned

Those lyrics may sound trite when you think of the big problems of homelessness, of abuse, of deep heartbreak, war . . . but in my life, at a time when I thought that I had screwed up my life royally, when I was afraid to look to the future and just focused on surviving that day and then the next, and the next, that song gave me some hope. And for some reason, that’s the song I thought of as I was sitting in St. James’s Church and, later, heading back to the hotel. 

England does that to me. Because it’s where I found out that I had far more courage than I ever thought I had even though I also found out that courage is something that doesn’t really come and stay in your heart, you have to keep on digging into yourself for it…. Oh golly, I’m turning philosophical. Time to go to bed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I