Skip to main content

What is the meaning of life?

Two weeks ago I received this question in my daughter's "52 Questions about you" app she sent me for my birthday. Finally came up with a response.

Oh gosh, that’s the kind of question that we used to laugh about. “Meaning of life”? Wasn’t there a Monty Python movie about that? (Yes there was.) I’ve actually had this post hanging around for a couple of weeks trying to figure out how to answer this.

I’ve decided in the end to muse about one of Wikipedia’s definitions of meaning of life: What is the purpose of existence? Which can still be a fairly deep question but here goes. As I experience my 80th decade (yep, we start at age 0, not at age 10; at 10 we already have completed our first decade) I look at the “purpose of my existence” in terms of past, present and future.

With all that I have written about my past publicly and privately, with all that I have said to people and with all the interactions I have had with family, friends, acquaintances, co-workers and sometimes people I only encountered, who never knew my name nor I theirs, I see the purpose of my existence was multifold. I provided my parents with a (mostly) loving child and learning experiences (laughing). Provided my sister with a lot of hassle but, in the end, love. Forasmuch as I knew my grandparents and aunts and uncles, I can’t say they were all that aware of my existence but I won’t learn about that until I meet them on the other side of the veil. If I still had them in my life, I would consider my purpose in their life would be to care for them, help them, support them in whatever way I could.
For my husband, daughter and my grandchildren, my past AND my present was/is to support, guide, cheerlead, help them to learn their own “purpose of existence”. I hope that will hold in the future as well but I am also aware that things might change in terms of health and circumstances. I hope in that case I can be an example of how to weather difficulties and face end of life with courage and optimism. I want to leave them with good memories and no guilt about our relationship.

My purpose of existence was MINE, theirs is theirs, they will have different circumstances and different choices and that’s true of all the people I have known, now know, have encountered or will encounter. We can make life better for people, including ourselves, or we can make it worse; my choice is the former. Those, I feel, are actually the parameters in “the purpose of existence”—will my choice impact other people and, if so, am I choosing the best way for both of us.


What annoys me a lot in our modern society is this tendency to be “victims”, to blame other people because our lives didn’t turn out the way we wanted, when we made bad choices, when we are criticized. I believe there is a difference between a “mistake”—a choice we make when we don’t know any better or when we “sin” (using this non religiously, bear with me)—we do something that we know is wrong (important to emphasize—we KNOW it’s wrong) because it’s easier, because we don’t “feel like doing the right thing today” or when we are afraid of the consequences of doing the right thing. If we make mistakes, we should learn the right way to do something, or the better way to do it. Or maybe not do it anymore—thinking of people who still drive cars into their late 80s even though they’re a menace on the road. I know I only drive short distances at night myself…. Apologize if someone was hurt by our mistake and move on, everyone the wiser. When we sin, it’s very much the same thing except the apologizing and owning up come first. We don't have to learn the right way, we knew it all along, knew we were wrong when we did it but we did it anyway.


In both cases, mistakes and sins, we still need love and understanding, there’s no judgement in what I wrote because who am I to judge? I have committed both mistakes AND sins in my life, some I got away with (except for my own guilty conscience) and some I was punished for. I learned from both and I think, to sum up this very long answer, that’s the true meaning of life: to leave this world wiser in yourself, your family and friends happier for having known you, and the world a little better for your having lived in it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I