Skip to main content

Being thankful for the people who've been (and are) in my life

 I would thank so many people (in a kind of chronological order):

My parents for providing a secure and loving home. My father for continuing that support after my mother died. For his supporting me financially in a way that taught me to acknowledge my mistakes and learn how to support myself as I grew older. I thank other family members; experiences with them and learning their stories (even if I never actually met them in the flesh) helped me to understand my heritage, helped me “see” how life sometimes works out, sometimes doesn’t and why.

My teachers from first grade to high school graduation who taught me how to behave in society, who taught me how to write and spell, introduced me to wonderful literature, kept my nose to the books for the subjects I hated, like Math and Chemistry, and who were kind ears when my world seemed to be crashing around me.

Some of my university professors, specifically a few History teachers in my undergraduate years and an Ethics professor in a graduate course, and fellow students in my graduate studies who kept me working and engaged when I wanted to drift off. True I didn’t complete my actual dissertation for my doctorate but in all of the other graduate courses and in the comprehensive exams my fellow students were a huge support.

Some of the people I worked for; actually I had more “good” bosses than bad. I am grateful even for the dressing-downs I received because I learned and I am thankful for my career path. It wouldn't have been as interesting and varied had I not been challenged. For example I was fired in three different jobs and I am grateful for that because my next jobs were more interesting and I approached them with a less pride-full attitude.

Friends. I have had friends who stayed in my life for years and years and others who were only in my life while I lived in a certain place or was attending school (see fellow students above) or was with a particular affiliation. My friends were often angels (see God)), sometimes they were “devil’s advocates” who helped me clarify what it was I really wanted out of life. There are a few former friends that I don’t miss in the least but even with that I’m glad I had those experiences with them. I’ve learned about the boundaries that make us healthy through those experiences.

I thank my daughter for being the light of my life. And her husband and children. Without them, life would be so much less interesting, and I would be a poorer person in terms of my own attitudes and behavior.

I thank my husband for stretching me emotionally. I thank him for supporting me financially during the lean years. I thank him for not being critical or threatening when I needed to do things on my own such as travel or live elsewhere. (I returned the favor to him too when he wanted to take a job that entailed moving.)

Mainly though I thank God for being in my life, for always being there, unobtrusive but a guiding hand so that, when I neared the bottom, thinking I was alone, someone always appeared, a kind of angel, who helped see me to climb back up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I