Skip to main content

Tangled Webs Part 2 -- conscious and unconscious

 An update to my last blog: Granddaughter and I did hear from the guy in the UK, the guy who matched to daughter's DNA. The nephew of the man who, well, blew my life apart in so many ways 45-43 years ago. At first the nephew responded quite positively about the match but once he heard what the connection was, how close it was, he pulled back slightly and said that he needed to consult with "the other members" of the family to see who had known what--he hadn't known anything about a first cousin--and to talk with them about his contacting us. Side note: this man is 43 years old, married with his own daughter. So, not a very young person but not an older person of, say, my generation either.

I wrote last time that I had come to terms with it all and, consciously, as I move around my day, get things done, read, interact, yeah, the whole thing is something at the back of my mind. Except when I am speaking with daughter or granddaughter.  Then it moves to the fore and I try very hard to be clinical, analytical, say I've moved on and so forth. But the nephew's last message to us, sent on Monday, stirred up feelings and memories of being told the very same thing by my daughter's father, "I have to think about how to tell my family....", 43 years ago when he was holding out hope to me that we'd be able to go back to England and be part of a family--something I dearly wanted as I wasn't happy in Canada, felt so alone as the ultimate single parent in my upper middle class neighborhood where even other "single" parents had exes who were involved with their kids. Ultimately though he had the upper hand, and whether he himself had any regrets, suffered any remorse, well, I won't know unless he chooses to respond once the nephew tells him what he's discovered.

Still, unlike 43 years ago when after he left to go back to England, having smashed my hopes with a "you're on your own" goodbye, and I was so devastated that my very kind boss gave me a week's "compassionate leave" to pull myself back together again, well, I'm coping. It's only when I go to sleep that the dreams come, nightmares really. So on Wednesday morning, when I was attending midweek services at my Episcopal Church I knew I needed to speak, face to face, to a neutral "someone". I met with my minister after services and she listened carefully. She didn't treat me like a victim, a "poor you", which was very good. She listened and then asked me what it was that I thought was bothering me. And I said I felt, once again, powerless. Waiting, again, for a person/people to decide whether to acknowledge me/us. 

Together we worked out the three possible scenarios if/when the nephew gets back to us (he said he'd be "in touch soon"): 1) Really glad to know there’s a family in Arizona, let’s keep in touch, and he provides some updates on all of the family. 2) A more reserved response, like, let’s keep in touch but some members of the family really don’t want to know so it will be a partial keep in touch and 3) total rejection a kind of “family’s discussed this and we’d really rather not continue this. Goodbye and good luck." And (3) is the one I have already been crying over but, as my minister said, what’s really changed in my life since last Wednesday? Where have "I" lost anything. Still, for my daughter, it's worse. She said she felt, once she knew that the nephew didn't know about her, like she was his "dirty little secret". With the emphasis on dirty. I ache for her and I tried, her friends have tried, to tell her that that is HIS cross to bear, not hers. 

HE is the one who had to keep the secret all of these years. And that is hard. I know all of the books I've read, the most recent being "Lessons in Chemistry" which is absolutely wonderful, all the TV shows I've watched about an out-of-wedlock child just popping up from nowhere, it's a common enough theme. Still, when you're in the midst of it, it's hard and the most difficult part is not being able, at least right now, to heal those wounds that we probably all have suffered. I'm trying very hard not to judge him by the last time I saw him. Just as I am not the same person I was back then, he may well not be either.

I just know that I will be very glad when I know which scenario is going to play out of those I outlined with my minister. It's beyond time to move on again.

Comments

  1. (( hugs )) for you, your daughter, and grand-daughter. And strength to face things "beyond your control"... you are so right... about it being HIS burden to bear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you heard back yet ? I hope it's a positive outcome for you all, a simple friendship would be lovely. Warmest love and hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a word. I think we have been ghosted. And that’s that, time to move on :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I