Skip to main content

Helen Reddy and I have lived to see the day


1971. I was 19 years old and still caught between wanting to embrace the new women's liberation movement and also wanting desperately to be loved. So I chose to be dependent on a boy/man who smirked at my going to a women's lib meeting at my university. I never went again. 

But that song kept ringing in my years through the years. And there were lyrics that I repeated to myself when I was told that I couldn't do certain things. When I was promised things--by men--and then disappointed. Lyrics such as "You can bend but never break me, for it only serves to make me, more determined to achieve my final goal." And, later, the more poignant, "Yes I've paid the price, but look how much I've gained."

Meanwhile, on the public stage I saw women making steps forward and steps back. In Canada, we had Kim Campbell as our first female Prime Minister for five months in 1993. In Canada you can become the Prime Minister by taking the helm of the governing party but then have your party lose the majority in an election that is held only a few months later. Thus she actually isn't the shortest-serving PM so one can't really say it was because of her gender. She remains the only female Prime Minister Canada has had. 

In the UK there was Maggie Thatcher but people (including Maggie herself) wouldn't have said she was emblematic of a feminist victory. Maggie surrounded herself with men and she and the 49-day wonder Liz Truss (who does hold the UK record for shortest time in the PM's seat) wouldn't have wanted to be looked at as feminist torch bearers. Theresa May, the other female Prime Minister, who served for three years as UK Prime Minister was lauded by The Guardian (a non-conservative UK newspaper) for encouraging more women to run for political office and for not putting up with any old boy rubbish. But she never had to face Trump, the most blatantly misogynistic and racist bully the US political scene has spawned who actually made it to becoming president and may actually be president again. Yes, those of you in the political know might remember misogynists and/or racists who have been US presidents but Trump is the whole package in a way that will go down in US history for it happening at a time when there are more women and people of color in the US House than ever before. It shouldn't be tolerated let alone encouraged. We should be better than that.

Which brings me to Kamala Harris and last night's debate. Whether you like her politics or not, whether you believe that Marley or Thomasina would be in danger of winding up on some illegal alien's dinner table if she were elected, you have to give her credit for turning in a debate performance that said that, at last, the kind of woman that Reddy sang about back in 1971, has arrived.

When she explained, in humane terms, what radical abortion laws can do, you knew she was speaking from the heart. Because only women really know what the abortion debate is about, on both sides. When she said that, as a California prosecutor, she had never asked a witness "Are you Republican or are you Democrat?" she was using the kind of logic that so many women use. Women are famous for being the more charitable gender, the more caring gender, and that charity and that gender has extended for decades to people regardless of race, religion, or political party persuasion. When she laughed off the insults it wasn't because she was weak, it was because they were schoolyard bully lies. And she'd heard them all before.

Go ahead, watch the debate. It's safe to do so now. I know many of us were afraid to, afraid that bully Trump would try to annihilate her and come off looking like the strongman he did with Hillary Clinton. Yes, Hillary "won" those debates intellectually but she didn't score the knockout blows that Kamala did last night. I really hope that women across the US--and I think it's time that, at least for this election, we don our womanhood capes and stand toe to toe--will see that this is the kind of woman we need for our first female President. She's going to make us proud.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

The Meaning Wheel

A few years ago I had a planner, Panda Planner, that was aligned with something called Via Institute on Character. I am (almost) always up for filling out questionnaires that relate to who I am, my talents, weaknesses, etc., and Via had such a questionnaire--Finding Out Your 6 Strengths. Long and short of it, I filled it out and I discovered I had six strengths although, as I read all the things that each were about, I would have said they were more six tendencies than strengths because I am still working on them three years later.  Via presented the results in terms of a "meaning wheel". I often forget to review it but as I am in January, taking stock of where I'm going and all, I share these six, ummm, reminders?, that I am using to take stock of my life on a weekly basis: Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence, Curiosity, Social Intelligence, Perspective, Gratitude and Spirituality. I suppose that, based on my answers to the questionnaire, these were the top aspects tha