Skip to main content

Cars and buses

Last week's activities centered around obtaining our smaller car. We went to Carlow on Tuesday with every expectation of picking up a 2009 white Fiat. Arrived there and were sitting in our usual pub/breakfast place when David-the-car-guy arrived. Usual pleasantries exchanged I said, "Well, are we ready?" Actually, no. Turns out David had looked at the car the afternoon before and he knew it just wouldn't pass the Ackroyd test. Too many dents in it. Ummm, so why did we drive all this way, couldn't you have called us? "Well, you know, when these cars come up, I (David) need to have the money right there to put on it so it was good that you brought it because I know of a great Fiat 500 that will be coming to auction tomorrow or the next day and I will have to snap it up." Umm, okay, gulping slightly and handing over the wad of cash in an envelope as if we were doing some kind of clandestine deal. Off he went.

Luckily, though, the trip wasn't a complete waste of petrol because we had arranged to visit our Italian friend Lucia, whose house we had been at the week before for her daughter Lea's missionary farewell. We drove there, only getting lost once this time (no, it is NOT on GPS) and had a very enjoyable couple of hours. Lucia had made a wonderful risotto so we had "tea" with her at 4:00 pm before we drove back. Lucia and Richard were discussing the comparisons between Italy and France and he mentioned how wonderful French cooking was (this was before she produced the risotto--he would never have dared say that afterward) and Lucia sniffed "Well, you know the French learned the basics of cooking from Catherine de Medici, an Italian who taught the French court everything about cooking and eating properly. The French just went on to tweak things here and there." Absolutely, Lucia, and the French know nothing about a good risotto (truly.)

Finished my "big" cemetery project on Wednesday as the weather was good. Over 300 headstones in all and a genealogy websites used one of my photos on its cover for last week:


She thought the font was a very unique one. I think, though, I may be going into strange Internet realms as yesterday I received an email from a store in China offering to sell me high-quality granite for headstones. Cheap shipping too. I think there is plenty of granite in Ireland though should I need a headstone in the near future.

Thursday morning I met a new friend at my favorite Chocolate Shop in Waterford. We talked genealogy for three hours, bliss! Then I wandered over to two museums--the Bishop's Palace and the Medieval Museum. So very interesting. They centre around the history of Waterford which, as Ireland's oldest city, is a long one. Pre-medieval actually. I do find it frustrating that I can never retain all of the details I read--names, dates, sequence. Amazing that I did a degree in History and am so hopeless at relating events. So enjoy the photographs and if you want to know more--Google the Bishop's Palace and Medieval Museum, Waterford 😜


Gifts given by Pope Pius IX to the Irish Battalion



A miniature room made completely of shell's by the daughter of a wealthy Waterford merchant.


Gifts of silver

Waterford Crystal

Waterford Crystal

Bishop's vestments "cloth of gold"
Waterford Crest






Great Parchment Book 1356-1649


More cloth of gold 


Last Friday was the big day--we were finally successful at getting a Fiat 500 from Dave. He did well all in all. It is a lovely little car and although the Duologic takes some getting used to (it is basically a manual gearbox without the clutch) even I can drive it. Here is a photo of it parked in the Tesco parking lot on Monday morning. 


For my Winterhaven friends, yes, it does look almost exactly like the car that remains in Jerry's hands on Softwind Drive. Except that the steering wheel is on the right. It is made for these narrow roads! 

Ironically now that we have a small car, Richard's Free Travel Pass arrived in the mail this morning. It means that he can travel for free all around Ireland on buses and trains. And I don't have to pay either as long as he is with me. We tried it out this morning and went to Waterford to pay the motor tax on the car. Worked a charm. We can now plan journeys to Cork and Dublin, Killarney, etc. 

Now all we need is my Irish passport so we can get over to England and get the clothes we left at Sheila's.

Mitzi continues to enjoy life in Ireland as well so I will sign off with her favorite photos:















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I