Skip to main content

Stormy weather

As was predicted, we've had a lot of "weather" this week. There was just one sunny day--Tuesday. But the rest of the the time it has been very windy and rainy. Sometimes the rain has been soft and I haven't minded walking Mitzi in it at all. But at night it drums on the skylight in my bathroom and I can see the waves crashing over the breakwater in the harbor from my bedroom window. Wild but I love it.

The figure in the photo--a woman in a bathrobe--had actually just come out of the water. She and three others took quick (very quick!) dips in the sea.




If you look at the roof of the middle house, you will see where the wind on Sunday night blew off the thatch. My friend Dominic said that I wouldn't see a wind like that, the sou-easter, for awhile but he was wrong. Thursday night's wind was just as strong. I haven't looked to see if any more thatch is off the house.

Richard, Mitzi and I walked down to O'Shea's fish and chip shop on Tuesday night, not realizing it is closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. Still is was a beautiful walk and I did manage my fish and chips on Wednesday night :)


So this week we haven't been doing an awful lot, mainly enjoying the lounge and the fire, watching old Law & Order episodes (the original series) and Inspector Dalgliesh as well, even older. R doesn't like the Dalglieshes that much, too complicated, too many characters he says. I tend to agree with him about P.D. James--she always put so much into her books that I thought she never was able to tie them off at the end. Too many characters left hanging after having so much to do during the story.

I did go into Waterford on Tuesday, hoping to get my passport application signed and mailed off. But I discovered that I did indeed need my original birth certificate and marriage certificate and they are currently in Sligo, being used to get R's Senior Travel Pass card. Ah well, another few weeks' delay. C'est la vie. I went to the ESL class and was perturbed when the missionaries didn't show up to help out. I had left my cellphone at home so didn't get the message that they had been called to clear out an apartment. I had about 10 of the students show up so without a flip chart and the materials the missionaries were supposed to bring, I improvised and we had a lot of conversation in English.

One funny ancedote. I asked each person what they had been doing so far this week (although my Algerian student said he thought I should be asking what they were doing last week because wasn't it in the past?) The lady who is Italian-Dominican Republic said she had been painting her roof different colors as she loves bright colors. I had this image of her outside on a ladder, covering her roof tiles in blues and oranges and pinks but then she said she painted each roof a different color. You have more than one roof? I asked and then it dawned on me that she didn't mean roof at all. At first I thought she was talking about the ceilings but when I pointed to the ceiling, she said, no, and pointed to the walls. We all laughed and it was a great learning moment.

The wind is howling again tonight. Richard is watching one of his beloved World War II movies (we have broadband now!!) downstairs. I am curled up in bed, taking a break from reading "The Lollipop Shoes" by Joanne Harris. It is a good book. As good as her other book, Chocolat, was, but another 100 pages longer. Authors are writing such LONG books now which I find ironic. Aren't people's attention spans supposed to be shorter? Wouldn't you think that books would be shorter too? Or maybe with dwindling returns, publishers feel they need to publish longer books to justify the price? I am out of the book business, have been for 20 years now, or I would ask.

And a photo of the fish and chips. They were delicious but so rich that once a week is just fine.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I