Skip to main content

Back in Sierra Vista, tired but very thankful

Fitting goodbye to Dublin
Arriving at Gatwick

Leaving England








Passing over Greenland
Approaching Los Angeles

From Atlantic to Pacific within a day

Night view of Los Angeles

Approaching Phoenix Airport

The Irish adventure is over. It officially ended at 4:45 pm on Tuesday, Sept 12th when we flew out of Dublin Airport to Gatwick. The days leading up to our departure had been very frantic as we tried to ensure that we left nothing crucial behind, sold what we could sell of the appliances we had bought, said our goodbyes. David-the-mechanic came through big time by arriving exactly when he said he would on Tuesday morning with a good sized SUV that fit all of our luggage, carryons, Mitzi and ourselves. We hope that David will be able to sell our car quickly! But he certainly was a man without peer to me on Tuesday. He even waited with us at Mitzi's drop-off point and was very supportive as I shed a few tears.

She travelled like a trouper though. As far as our trip went, it was pretty good. We had SO much luggage we had wondered how we were going to deal with it all. Four large suitcases and the four carryons. But Gatwick Airport is a great, manageable airport. We had booked into the Hampton there as it was attached to Terminal 2. We arrived in Terminal 1 but trolleys were right by the baggage claim. They use the same principle as the supermarkets in Canada and the UK/Ireland do--slide a Euro/pound/dollar coin in the slot and the cart dislodges from the carrel. When you return the trolleys, you reattach them and the coin becomes available to you. So the trolleys were free! Excellent! 

And we were able to wheel the trolleys over to the Hampton with no difficulty. It was a good hotel but checking in was a nightmare. The receptionist was very slow and tentative. Good thing I had the reservation on my cellphone; otherwise I don't think she would have been able to find it. Then the first room she allocated us was already occupied. We had struggled with our trolleys up the elevators (which require a key card to operate, always so awkward) and then we had to struggle back down. And when I told her the room was occupied, she said "You're kidding!" She had to tell the cleaning staff about it although she didn't mention it to the other receptionist who was standing not three feet from her. Which was too bad because when she gave us the second room and we got in, I had just gone into the bathroom when the door opened and a couple came in saying "Oh, this is supposed to be OUR room." Thankfully they saw immediately that possession is 9/10 of the law and off they went. 

We went down a few minutes later to eat dinner at the restaurant. Huge queue at the bar where you had to order and pay before you get the food. I gave the bar staff our room number and--uh oh--they said the "system" had no record of us. So I reached in my wallet for my credit card. No credit card. The receptionist hadn't given it back to me. At that point I somewhat testily said that yes we were staying at the hotel and yes that was our room number. So the bar staff put our order in and I went back to the front desk. The other receptionist said, "Oh here she is, she's looking for her card." But our original receptionist had forgotten where she had put the card and had to be reminded by the other receptionist. And then the manager told us we would have to change rooms again because the system had some kind of glitch where some rooms--ours being one--were not being shown as occupied. If we didn't change rooms, we would run the risk of having people barging in on us through the night. Now, as someone who trained customer service people and who implemented several computer systems in the Dark Ages, I knew that what he said wasn't the best way to handle the situation. Leave rooms empty when people were being turned away? I leave you to figure out what solution I would have come up with, email me if you would like to know the solution. At any rate, he comp'd our dinner and helped us move out of the room. And the rest of the night was uneventful.

Norwegian Airways is a delight to travel with if you choose Premium +. Seriously worth the extra money and it is far, far less than First Class on the regular airlines. We actually ended up paying less for two Premium + seats on Norwegian than we would have with any of the other airlines' Economy. We were able to relax in the special Lounge that Norwegian has at Gatwick, glorious free food, free drinks and very comfy chairs. Onboard the seats were generally comfortable, plenty of attention from the hostess and just a great flight overall on the new Dreamliner. 

We arrived slightly late at LAX. I was worried whether we would make our next flight given that we were going to have to reticket with Delta and would have to go through Customs too. I had originally left three hours between the two flights and we were late by an hour. But Customs went really smoothly, free trolleys at LAX as well and we were flying 1st Class on Delta--they had given me a voucher from our December snafu--so check-in and Security were a breeze. We landed at PHX 20 minutes early and Laurie, bless her, was right there.

She had picked Mitzi up and checked into Aloft, the dog-friendly hotel that is quite close to the airport. And had brought her monster SUV. So all bags were loaded into the car, we went over to the hotel. Richard had his own room and immediately disappeared; he was a zombie. Laurie, Mitzi and I shared a room and after about an hour of talking and licking, we both fell asleep.

I woke up first at 1:30 a.m. Then at 4:00 a.m. I finally got up at 5:45 and quietly took Mitzi out for a walk. What a different landscape--dry sandy soil, cacti, vs the green grass. I wonder what Mitzi thought. And it was already 88 degrees; it had been 98 when we arrived at 9:00 pm the night before. 

But this is familiar territory for me and, tired as I am, I feel like I am as close to "home" as I can be. We had a wonderful reunion with the grandkids and are now getting used to the Extended Stay hotel. Our "home" for the next 21 days. It is pretty basic but it has a/c, a fridge, stove and microwave, and is within walking distance of the grocery store, the library and the public swimming pool. Thankfully Autumn is on its way so hot as it is, it isn't horrible.

So the next phase of my life begins. We have arrived with all of our luggage and the car search continues. Waiting to hear that we do indeed have a rental home for November 1st. I have already signed up with Verizon so I once again have a Canadian phone number.

All in all, life is grand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I