Skip to main content

Thoughts on Ireland and on life

Six more mornings left in our stay in Ireland. The past two days have been very "active" packing wise. Putting stuff in, weighing, taking stuff out, changing our minds about luggage: we jettisoned a smaller bag and bought a larger one. Figured it was cheaper than trying to mail stuff or leaving it behind. Looking back at the start of my blog on this adventure, I read that I was doing the very same thing in Scottsdale last December. Weighing suitcases, taking stuff out, making trips to Goodwill.

Our total worldly goods, except for a few paintings, a couple of small pieces of furniture, a couple of lamps back in a storage unit in Arizona, fit into three large suitcases and two carryons. We own no car, no bed and we have no set place to live until November 1st so it really is just us and Mitzi. It is kind of scary. 

But no more scary than what people are experiencing today around the world. When we sighed this morning about having to book into a spartan Extended Stay back in Arizona, I commented that we will be sharing what many are experiencing in Houston and in the Caribbean given the hurricanes. To say nothing of people on the edge of poverty worldwide. And we are not on the edge of poverty. Our circumstances are based on our choices--we chose what we wanted to keep, what we were willing to let go of. We chose to leave the U.S., we are choosing to return. We won't be stopped at the border. We can go back to a place that is safe and dry. We have enough money to support ourselves day to day in a quite adequate way. So we are blessed and privileged and I never take that for granted. 

Many people have asked me "Are you sad to be leaving? Would you do it again? What have you learned?" Well, yes, I am sad to be leaving. Moving again is very stressful and I had hoped we would make it through a year at least. I have enjoyed so much of Ireland this year, the tale is told through my blog. But it came to a point where staying was going to cost a lot more Euros. And we are facing winter, a time of dull weather, cold (increased heating costs), a time where if we haven't settled ourselves into a local routine--we haven't--we will be hunkered down in our rental staring at each other. Instead we can be in our old stamping ground in Arizona, in a community that we are familiar with and that is familiar with us. I can still have the kind of intellectual experiences, with books and the Net, that I would be having here in the winter. And I have my photos, my blog for memories. We also face some issues in our lives that will be better faced in the U.S. So leaving really is the best option--short term pain for long term gain.

Would I do it again? Truthfully, no. We thought that we would be doing this while we still had the energy and resources to do it. We had the energy at the start of this but we are now pretty well done in. And making new friends is HARD. At this stage of life it is difficult to tell my story, to immerse myself into a culture even though it is a culture that I was familiar with fifty years ago. 

Do I regret doing this? No I don't. Because I DID learn some quite important things, things that are going to stand me in good stead as I move forward. 

I learned a lot not only about Ireland but also about myself. I believe that I go forward a more realistic, thought-full person. One thing I learned here through my interactions with people is that many of us tend to say "it's fine" when it really ISN'T fine. We do things, say things, that impact ourselves and others in ways that really aren't good for us. And if it isn't good--in terms of wellbeing--for us, it really isn't going to be good for other people either. I feel that is one of the most valuable things I learned and if it took coming to Ireland for me to learn it, well then the journey was worth it.

I also learned that aging takes a huge toll on the body. And that unless I make health my priority--spiritual, emotional and physical health--nothing else really matters. I feel I aged quite a bit this year. Partly due to the weather, partly due to health habits. I know what I need to do now to mitigate this aging process and it will be easier to do that back in a place where there are exercise classes, warm pools, free medical (thank you Medicare!) and a better climate for arthritic bones.

Ireland is a lovely country. The Irish people are funny, they are, in the main, kind. They really don't take life too seriously. I think the attitude I encountered is summed up by what a man said to me this morning as I was walking Mitzi in the park: "It's a grand morning!" he said. It is actually cold and grey. "Yes it is," I bravely replied. I have learned there really is no point in disputing others' attitudes toward life. He continued, almost as if divining my thoughts, "And even if it isn't grand, it's better to say it is, isn't it?" And therein lies my final adieu to Ireland, the closing chapter in my book about Ireland. It is a grand country, they are grand people. Bless them all.








Comments

  1. What a thought-full blog entry. It sounds like you are quite at peace with your decisions. And what is experience for, if not for learning? I've loved following along as an armchair tourist. Thanks, Val, for sharing your life in Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your last entry in your blog Val . Very thought provoking . I too would find it very difficult to move somewhere I am not familiar with and also facing a different culture and weather system .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I