Skip to main content

 Helsinki went by so fast. Well, I guess for a lot of people, only spending two full days in a city IS fast. Especially when most of that time was spent sitting and talking. 

I wouldn't have changed it for the world though--sitting and chatting with Vivienne rather than sightseeing. We connected in a very strong way. From the moment I walked down the hall at the Helsinki Airport and saw her sitting on her walker, waiting for me, even though it was after 11 pm. She smiled, we started to talk and it was like we had known each other all our lives. 

I can't even remember specifically what we talked about. Traveling, for sure. Memories, absolutely, hers and mine. How things in our lives affected us, how they don't affect us anymore, how they do, where we want our lives to be. Although Vivienne is in her mid 80's she is so alive, so interested in things. She's an expert dressmaker, as you can see from her photo below--she made everything she is wearing, including the brooches. Except for the beret. She leads a Spanish conversation group in Helsinki. She is having more difficulty getting around as she has knee problems but she is still an example to me of vibrant living. 

During the times we were not together--she's not a morning person--I walked around the center of Helsinki, looking at the architecture, visiting Helsinki's Lutheran Cathedral, peeking in the doorway of the Russian Orthodox Cathedral, which was under renovation. In fact, all of the churches, except for the Lutheran Cathedral, that I had wanted to visit were under renovation and closed. So it was an outdoor stroll, enjoying the mildish weather--similar to Montreal in mid October--and just being happy. 

On Sunday morning, I visited Helsinki's Art Gallery, the Ateneum. I arrived right at opening and so for the first half hour, I had the whole gallery to myself, except for the very quiet guards who patrolled the rooms. I was enthralled by so many of the paintings, a very few of which I have chosen to put on this page. There's something about truly looking at a painting--like I did at the Queen's Gallery in London last week--that energizes me, makes me feel like I am truly alive. It's very popular nowadays, this idea of mindfulness, of noticing the things around us. Choosing to walk slowly through an art gallery, to stop at the things that attract me, think about why I am attracted, letting my mind meander to memories, be inspired without feeling like I am ticking a box on a "must see" list or being under a "what's next" schedule--all of this is the way that I realize I like to travel. Too often I let myself be influenced by websites like TripAdvisor or friends who say "did you visit such-and-such, we really liked...." Such things can be helpful when you're at loose ends but it's the discoveries that you make that are meaningful to yourself, that produce a change in how you feel that, I believe, really make traveling special.

Anyway, after the Ateneum I picked up my luggage from the hotel, took a taxi to Vivienne's house--she had insisted on giving me money for taxis--and had a poignant farewell. I don't know if we will see each other again but I am so, so glad that I made this journey.


National Library, part of Helsinki's University.

Front (or could be back, wasn't really sure after I saw the Cathedral from the Square below,) view of Lutheran Cathedral, which is directly opposite from National Gallery.







Looking at Cathedral from Square with statue to Tsar Alexander of Russia who "owned" Finland in the mid 1800s.

View of Russian Orthodox Cathedral


Looking at Lutheran Cathedral from front steps of Orthodox Cathedral




I stopped at a booth on the quay for some crepes and these fat sparrows tried to steal my crepes! Very fat, very impudent!!




One of the large ferries that travel between Helsinki and Stockholm. Had thought of doing that before time and money constraints interfered.










Main square in Helsinki, where the railway station (clock tower) and Ateneum are, as well as many department stores that brought back memories for me of Eaton's, Simpson's on Ste Catherine Street in Montreal.

The masked figures outside the railway station--Finns are nothing if not subtle.





In fact, walking around Helsinki, I had a strong sense of the Montreal I remembered from childhood, the downtown part of it anyway.


The exterior of the Ateneum

Not only is the Ateneum an Art Gallery it is also an Art School; these are just some of the self portraits of the artists who have studied/exhibited there.











These last two paintings were not in the Ateneum, they are in Vivienne's house. And there are more, paintings of where they lived in Spain and Acapulco. Her mother was a gifted artist in her own right, Audrey Campbell Jacob. Although she never exhibited her paintings, she left Vivienne a beautiful legacy of the places they had traveled to and lived and a determination to never hide or ignore one's gifts.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I