Skip to main content

Journeying to Helsinki

Sheila and I got up quite early in our hotel room, were packed and ready to go by 7:30. Had some buffet breakfast (a couple of mini croissants, double Gloucester cheese, fruit and a latte), brushed teeth, out of room by 8:30 am. At train station before 9, picked up my tickets and realized I wasn’t going directly to Heathrow on the train but was going to King’s Cross first and then would have to transfer to the Tube. Ugh.





Still the first class carriage York to King’s Cross was very nice. I was served a ham sandwich and a brownie. (If I had realized that would be the last food I’d get until 3:00 pm, I would have eaten the whole sandwich. This is becoming a theme with me, long waits between meals.) As first class also means free WiFi, I began to dismantle my arrangements for Edinburgh although I couldn’t fix the Ryanair part of it yet—what a surprise. I have over a week to do that, if I’m not too tired when I get to the hotel in Helsinki tonight, I will get that done. It was difficult to decide whether to continue with my plan to see Edinburgh again or go back to London. The main reason I was going to Edinburgh was to go and see Inverary Castle; I’ve seen a good deal of Edinburgh twice in the past. But I was so wanting to see Inverary. 


What decided me to bag Edinburgh and head for London were two main things. I looked up the cost of train fare from Edinburgh to London, since I have to get back to London anyway for the flight home. And it was expensive. Then I also looked up what the weather forecast was for the day I had booked to go to Inverary. Cold and wet. Hmmm…. Plus the tour had already been changed once, substituting a castle I hadn’t seen (Doune) for one I had (Stirling). What was to say that by the time I got to Edinburgh, they wouldn’t have substituted Inverary as well. It just seemed a long and expensive way to go to see one place. There’s still so much of London I can do.


Anyway, I had wisely booked my Ryanair ticket as “flexi” which means I can change it—once I get onto a secure WiFi. More will be written on that later.


Arrived at King’s Cross and then began the slog over from the rail station to the Tube, finding lifts/elevators and the right platform for the train to Heathrow. I lost track of the number of Tube stops between Kings Cross and Heathrow, there are at least 10. Sitting down and trying to hang on to my wheeled luggage, making sure it didn’t roll down the aisle, feeling at this point somewhat tired, I began to wonder about all of this traveling. Especially as I have been having some minor health issues (to describe what they are would be TMI) and I wasn’t feeling very comfortable. Part of the joys of aging I’ve been told. Oh well, the trip has been good so far so why should I worry. Live in the moment and the moment is just fine.


Arrived at Heathrow, went to Terminal 2 but discovered Finnair goes from Terminal 3. Another long walk, thank goodness for wheeled luggage! When I arrived at the area set apart for the Finnair desks, they were all closed. There were three burly guys sitting nearby and I asked if they knew when the desks opened. In an hour. Listening to them speaking to one another, I assumed they were Finns; they HAD said they were waiting for the check in to start. I was REALLY starting to wish I had kept that ham sandwich from the morning, or at least eaten it. There was absolutely nothing in Terminal 3 before the check in area except for some Coke machines. And Coke isn’t really sitting too well with me right now.


At last the check in opened and after that it went smoothly. Goodbye big bag, hello boarding pass. I was also given a complimentary pass to one of the very nice lounges beyond the Security area. Hooray, food and a comfortable place to sit, maybe somewhere to plug in my fast discharging iPad? Yes, yes and yes after Security. Food, drink, nice restrooms, what else could a woman want? 


Boarding was quick and efficient. I booked Economy for this flight as it is so short (a little over 2 hours) and it’s fine. The flight was very full, lots of English speakers around me but none with a North American accent. I am on the aisle row of three, the other two seats are occupied by a couple who promptly went to sleep when we boarded. Lucky them to be able to sleep so easily. 


Think I will start reading one of my books on my iPad and watch to see when the restroom becomes vacant. More later.





 


2:00 in the morning and I am trying to go to sleep. Had no trouble getting through Customs and met up with my cousin at Helsinki airport. She is wonderful, she even speaks Arabic (all the cab drivers seem to be Arabic speaking.) Frail, gets around with a walker but she insisted on making sure I got to the hotel safely even though it was after midnight. The hotel is so modern it took me five minutes to figure out which control panel to use to turn the lights on and off 😀 Now that I have figured it out going to try to get to sleep.


What an amazing journey so far!

Comments

  1. Wow! Sounds like a wonderful trip so far, and figuring out on the fly what must be changed to make the most of it. Hope you get some good rest, and on to see what's to see in Helsinki! My ex-husband might be jealous... his mother was Finnish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People watching in the department stores (they still have department stores! More on that later) and on the streets, the fairer skinned people are tall, elegant, blue eyed, quite serious but very polite. Someone yesterday, when I admired his dog, said that I looked like his mother. Guess I have to get used to that. Have only seen a few people I would term, ahem, portly. Of course Helsinki is also diverse and there are lots of darker skinned people. Women wearing hijabs, speaking (I think) some form of Arabic. Coming from my not diverse at all mini city in southern Arizona, the diversity is wonderful!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I