Skip to main content

Journeying home



Although my actual flight to JFK isn’t until tomorrow, modern travel and my own paranoia necessitates that I begin the journey today. Driving in the UK is so very different than the US, even on highways, something I think I have mentioned in previous blogs. Although it is only 133.4 miles from where Sheila lives to Heathrow, closer than the distance from Sierra Vista to Phoenix, the journey takes 2.5 hours, assuming there isn’t an accident on the motorway. Sheila didn’t want to attempt the drive and I don’t blame her at all. 

I could have gone by train but that would mean heaving my suitcases up and down from platform to train, since most of the platforms are several inches lower than the trains are. And transferring first at Bristol—platform change, one lift (elevator) per two platforms up and down to the tunnels connecting said platforms—and then at Paddington—walk from train station to Underground and try to make sure cases don’t go rolling down the subway car during the half hour plus journey from Paddington to Heathrow. Having done the journey one way, i.e., arriving at Sheila’s, I thought “there must be an easier way.” My search began a week ago.

And I found the National Express coach. Of course it only runs two times in the day, once at 9:00 and the other at 9:30, to Bristol to connect to the Heathrow coach. But at least the coach driver heaves the cases into the luggage hold and takes them out again. You don’t get that kind of service on trains unless you are in a wheelchair. And the coach is significantly cheaper than the train too. Even when I factored in paying for a taxi to take me from Sheila’s to the coach station at Weston-Super-Mare. Sheila doesn’t like driving during rush hour and, with the petrol problems the UK is having right now, again I can’t blame her. All was looking super good.

Until the other minor glitch two days ago that, from 8:30 to 9:00 am, the taxi companies in Burnham, Sheila’s town, are all occupied with ferrying kids around on school runs. Hmmm, life is always interesting. I read a quote this morning that said that we have round heads so we can turn our thoughts around. Makes sense to me given all of the minor stuff that can trip a traveler up. Mulling things over, the decision was made to book the taxi at 7:30. I arrived at the bus shelter—it’s not a full-sized station in Weston—at 7:55. And waited. 

In the meantime though, I want to share another “b**** COVID testing” anecdote. When I was preparing to travel to the UK, I checked the re-entry requirements to the US on the American Airlines’ website. The airline advised that I would have to test before flying to the US but that the US (unlike the UK) would accept my doing the test “at (Sheila’s) home” as long as I bought one of the fancy “test on computer camera while a tech watches to make sure that YOU do the test” kits stateside and brought it with me. So I have been carrying the testing box around with me the past month. Being the paranoid person I am, I decided to test yesterday, which was within the 72 hour window. All went well, test results were negative. And then I tried to upload the results to VeriFly, the app that American Airlines recommends for “quick and easy” check in. I had used VeriFly coming to the UK and it had worked well.

There I was yesterday morning, feeling quite pleased with the final (fifth!) negative COVID test and thinking “I am all clear to go now” when there was another one of those glitches that requires some round headedness. I uploaded the file of the medical certificate and within five minutes VeriFly sent me a message “Test not approved, check requirements.” What?? The testing company said right IN the certificate that the test met CDC travel requirements. What was “unapproved” about it. Of course VeriFly has no chatbot, no phone number so I email’d them an anxious email saying “what in heck is wrong?” And I also email’d the testing company. AND I had a virtual “chat” with American Airlines. 

American Airlines said everything sounded fine to them, just show up at the airport with a copy of the negative test result. The testing company (Qured, test of choice for several airlines) reassured me that the problem “must” be with VeriFly. And VeriFly kept sending me email messages “check the testing requirements.” So I wasn’t reassured because I wasn’t able to check in online as there was this notice “must be okay’d by VeriFly.” I felt like I was in Catch-22. 

It’s a good thing that I decided to come to Heathrow today. I reassured myself yesterday that if, when I got to Heathrow today, American Airlines said the test WASN’T the right kind, I could get a test right here at Heathrow. I also reassured myself that it was VeriFly’s problem by looking up reviews of them. 87% of reviews of VeriFly over the past month have been negative. People saying they were having similar problems to mine.

So, that’s my travel story so far, roughly 18 hours before the final push. I am feeling very, very thankful that all has worked out so well. I give myself some credit for my round headedness and a lot of credit to my father, who taught me to be a careful (I will stop saying paranoid now) traveler. 

But I am also feeling very hungry so am going to see if there is a cafe in the hotel where I can get a light meal. 





Comments

  1. The trip has been wonderful, but the travel in times of Covid fraught with glitches. Glad you are a "careful traveler"! And thanks for taking us along, virtually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've followed your trip and really commend you for taking on this journey and your positive attitude to all the challenges. I've been wanting to do a return visit to Scotland but all the Covid-hoops have seemed daunting, you've made it seem quite manageable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I