Skip to main content

Mixed blessings


Richard and I had our COVID booster shots on Friday afternoon. This was my third Moderna shot; Richard had had the one-shot Janssen vaccine so he opted this time for Moderna.

The pharmacist at CVS said the dose was half of the regular Modern. She also said that some people had experienced a reaction of sore arm, fever, fatigue, etc., and some hadn't had anything.

Richard didn't have any reaction to the shot. I started feeling feverish, achey and just all around flu-ey in the middle of the night on Friday. Spent Saturday on the couch and in bed, alternately shivering and sweating. I am better today but still so tired! Curious as to why I was so sick and R had nothing more than a sore arm, I Google'd "Why some people have side effects...." The article had lots of medical jargon in it but, basically, the fact that I had side effects means that my immune system was working harder than R's was. (Some may argue with this, but it works for me.) Apparently, it's usual for people older than 65 to have "age-related decline in immune activity." Doesn't mean that the vaccine isn't working, just means that a lot of 65+ people won't feel all those antibodies doing their job. Or something like that :) I guess I still have a younger immune system than R does. 

Anyway, despite feeling like road kill for the past couple of days, I am glad I had the vaccine. I said to R that it's amazing how some of us just trust that what a "professional" (a pharmacist at CVS Pharmacy) is putting into our arm is going to be helpful and not kill us. Personally speaking, I am trusting of vaccines because I have watched--and been given--vaccines developed and administered over the past 64-odd years, since I was a child. I had the Salk vaccine for polio and the dreaded smallpox vaccination. I also vaguely remember being tested for TB in my schoo (scratches on my back); there must have been some kind of outbreak but I was too young to remember.

The MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine was developed after I'd already had all of those diseases but I made sure Laurie had them all. She was too old for the chicken pox (varicella) vaccine but her children have had the vaccination. Laurie had chicken pox, her children did not. Nor did Laurie have any of the childhood diseases I suffered through. 

So now I am immunized up to the nth degree for COVID. I am thankful we were able to access the booster as I have been substitute teaching and the kiddos do not wear their masks over their noses and mouths (although I do.) And the reason I am called in so often to substitute is because people are still being exposed to it and getting sick from it. However, outside of the school district--which requires that everyone wear a mask on school premises--mask wearing here in our town is spotty. It's become a political issue rather than a health issue and I feel sad for that. Wear a mask, don't wear a mask. Let's not argue about it. I wear one, don't judge me and I won't judge you. I just won't come close to you, especially if I am not sure whether you are vaccinated.

It's true that, at this point, we are COVID weary. Many of us just feel that COVID will be with us and we need to adjust to that. I suppose I feel that way although I also feel that more people should (1) have access to vaccine and (2) take it. It's a blessing. It may be a mixed blessing for a few days but it's a blessing. 

Comments

  1. Thanks for doing the research! If there's anything to this, my immune system is "young" based on my reactions to shingles shot #2, and Covid shots #2 and #3 (both Pfizer).

    I'm just thinking this has to be better than the disease. Thank you for being there as a substitute teacher... there's a front-line worker if ever I saw one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I