Skip to main content

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

 I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker.

With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I also shared my experience when I was in my senior year of high school and my mother died suddenly right at the beginning. How my teacher sat me down and addressed the pain, the shock, promised me that I WOULD make it through and that she would be there to help me. And she was. It was very much “tough love”—she gave me a little bit more slack but she also insisted I kept my grades up, that I came to school in the regulation uniform, and so on. She kept me on track believing that if outwardly I seemed to be doing okay, then inwardly I'd be okay too. Was it the way I would handle it nowadays? No, it was a short-term solution, get someone through, but it didn't address the deep pain, didn't really teach me healthy coping mechanisms.

This feeling was actually made clearer in the class yesterday when I said that when I was about their age there was no place for emotional counseling in our schools. Academic counseling, yes, but no, not emotional. One of the students spontaneously exclaimed, “Wow, Mrs A! No counseling in school? I wouldn’t survive without counseling!” This, from a 10 year old! She's recognized she can't go it alone and she knows that reaching out to the kind and understanding counselor they have at their school helps her tremendously. In fact, they all agreed they are lucky that not only do they have a counselor at school they can go to but that also their teacher--my daughter (blush)--was someone who was very approachable, loving and kind.

There's a place for "Let's just get through this hour, this test, this day" but we also need to follow up with a continual checking in "How did that feel for you? What's still bothering you? What can you do about it? What kind of help do you need...." And we still do need that, no matter what age we are. We don't just shut down in our senior years, although it seemed in generations past that IS what happened. And yet, we have stories from people who've thrived into their 80s, 90s, even 100s, that tell us that shutting down isn't the way to go. Opening up is; being open to experiences that make you happy, that bring other positive, loving and helpful people into your orbit. Finding out that sometimes what was right for you when you were young is still right--eat your vegetables, brush your teeth, get a good night's sleep--and sometimes it's not. The messages we heard that were critical without being loving, the times we felt that we were unworthy, that our dreams didn't count . . . those need to be thrown out along with don't go out with wet hair, you'll catch pneumonia or dancing too closely with a boy will make you pregnant [laughing--I kid you not, that's what our nuns told us in junior high!]

Comments

  1. What a wonderful message for kids. I think there is a real value in the grand-generation sharing with pre-teens and teens. It took me to adulthood to understand that my grandmother had been through ALL of the same phases, including being a young mother and housewife... and the story was head through her letters home, transcribed by my sister years after Grandma's passing. You did service to those students, sharing all those insights!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t