Skip to main content

January 2024 and blogging

 I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way.

I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most bloggers aren't in that league. I mainly look for blogs to do with the British Royals because that's my not-so secret interest but occasionally I've looked at blogs from writers on New York Times or The Atlantic. I even bought someone's book "Sorry I'm Late But I Didn't Want To Come" because it sounded quite interesting. It wasn't, I haven't yet got past Chapter 3. Oh well.

My question to myself at the end of this year was, "Did I want to go that route?" Write an actual Substack blog, knowing that all sorts of people might read it. Well, looking at Twitter/X, I definitely don't feel like putting myself out there for so many crazy or just plain grumpy, judgmental people. Not that I am not, on occasion, grumpy and judgmental (hopefully not crazy though) but I choose my responses carefully and try not to annoy the original blogger. So, no, no public Substack blog for me. Which means that the nigggling question I've had for so many years--do I have it in me to become a "published writer"--is now answered. No, I don't. At least not presently.

But what to do with this blog then? Because I still like to write and sometimes writing in my private Day One journal, or emailing very long missives to friends just doesn't seem "enough". Ah, that word "enough". Well, broadening out my thought processes, that's where I find myself in 2024--thinking about whether my life is enough. I tell myself over and over again that I am finally at peace, that I really like my very quiet life here in southern Arizona. But, if that's true, why do I find myself stuffing myself full of chocolate and bread, clobbering my 2024 goal (which was also my 2023 goal) of losing weight? It's not that I don't KNOW how to lose weight. Of course I do, I've done it many times in the past. And gained it back. And lost it. You know the drill.

So, why do I, when I "think" I am perfectly happy sitting in my chair reading a good book or watching an interesting series, then almost robotically, get up and go into the kitchen and look for stuff to eat. And, please, I also know that the diet experts say, well, don't have things in the house. Please. I have a car. I have a credit card. The grocery store is open to midnight. 'nuff said. 

Others might say, well, then what's wrong, at your age, with just accepting the weight? Hmmm.... Well, first of all, the stuffing my face actions seem to indicate to me that there's something else in my life that I might (?) want to address? And the other thing is that if I continue to stuff my face, my weight will continue to rise until it once again, as it did a year and a half ago, gets into the "obese" range. Which, considering that my family has a history of heart disease and now cancer, and that I already have some small concerns with occasionally being short of breath, well, it's just not a good idea to let the overeating lie; it's not a good idea not to address it.

So, the long and short of it is, welcome to my blog for 2024. I have no idea what direction it's going to take or whether it will continue to be a commentary/update for the friends who currently read it or whether others might find their way here. I subscribe to one Substack blog--Susan Cain of "Quiet" and "Bittersweet" fame--where the commenters seem to be reasonable, helpful people. I've mentioned to a couple that I have a semi-private blog and they say they've dipped into it. Don't know whether they'll return. I do love comments from friends, many of you send me private emails, that's fine. If you want to comment on here, that's fine too. As I said, this will probably be as close to an "adventure" as I get this year.

I have no big plans for traveling. Richard insisted we book a Cunard voyage this year and we decided, with our somewhat straitened funds this year, the best option would be another Alaska cruise, but this time on the Queen Elizabeth. We found one that fit the budget and actually Richard's brother and his partner are coming along. Hmmm, that should be interesting in July :) I continue to do some subbing but feel a lot less intense about it than I did when I wrote my last blog in October. So, right now, my topics will probably be about interesting tidbits I pick up about overeating, books I liked, questions I have. I will try to stay out of politics unless things become so dire that I am expecting police at my door at any moment.... 

Let the games begin!


Comments

  1. I think all of us who write go through periodic "reassessments" of how / what we want to share. I find myself getting lazier as the years pass... my motivation comes in waves. I'll have a thought but not have the oomph to follow through in a blog, or it is a controversial topic (like politics) and I don't want the attention it might stir up! So... that's why my blogs remain kind of day to day life. Like the current snow storm / wind chill! Getting to the mailbox today was a challenge! LOL!

    If you're blogging here, I will likely be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks OneKidsMom :) We've come a way since SparkPeople haven't we? I still miss that website, I had the most success with weight loss when I was following it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I feel much the same as you and trying to work out what to do with the year ahead, and a feeling that much of it will be spent problem solving as things go wrong, much the same as last year although there were some good things too. We're in a cold spell right now and as the price of gas (not the petrol type) has hit the roof, I'm trying to keep the house warm whilst cutting back on heating. Added to that my dog has sprained her leg and is is feeling poorly. Perhaps its the post Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year let down period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Daisy with her sprained leg! And I hear you about the cost of heating. This month’s gas bill was three times what it is at other times of the year. We use gas to heat and electric to cool; the electric bill skyrockets during the air conditioning months but is low right now. It is a bit of a let down period but at the same time we go on because we are still alive, still with our wits and there are still lots of happy things too. Always so glad to hear from you kiddo!

      Delete
  4. Valerie, I enjoy reading your blog. This is the first time I have written a comment. Please don't stop writing your blog. I'd love to hear your comments on Virginia Woolf's essay: "A Room of One's Own". I just listened to David Runciman's podcast on this. It's in a series called: Past, Present, Future where he discusses the History of Ideas by looking at several interesting essays. You can find it by Googling: Past Present Future Runciman A Room of One's Own.

    Let me know what you think..Cheers..Milda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Milda, I will definitely look the podcast up! I was a great fan of Virginia Woolf when I worked at McMaster. I took a course on the Bloomsbury Group, read all her books, saw the movie adaptations and so on. I am glad to know you read the blog!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Valerie: This is me testing. xo Linda

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Valerie: This is me testing again. xo Linda

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I