Skip to main content

The Meaning Wheel

A few years ago I had a planner, Panda Planner, that was aligned with something called Via Institute on Character. I am (almost) always up for filling out questionnaires that relate to who I am, my talents, weaknesses, etc., and Via had such a questionnaire--Finding Out Your 6 Strengths. Long and short of it, I filled it out and I discovered I had six strengths although, as I read all the things that each were about, I would have said they were more six tendencies than strengths because I am still working on them three years later. 
Via presented the results in terms of a "meaning wheel". I often forget to review it but as I am in January, taking stock of where I'm going and all, I share these six, ummm, reminders?, that I am using to take stock of my life on a weekly basis:
Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence, Curiosity, Social Intelligence, Perspective, Gratitude and Spirituality. I suppose that, based on my answers to the questionnaire, these were the top aspects that came out. As examples of what each means (there are several, won't go through them all):
Appreciation of Beauty and Excellence: I listened to some wonderful music this week, both classical and soft rock. Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide" almost brought me to tears, Barbra Streisand's "Avinu Malkeinu" lifted me up toward the Spirit, and so on.
Curiosity: A friend and I had discussed a NY Times article on the recent Harvard plagiarism debacle and as I was mulling over the whole question of plagiarism, an invite popped up from my Classical Wisdom Substack writer to "attend" an Eventbrite online lecture by two professors, "Plagiarism: What's the Problem?" this past Wednesday. I struggled a bit with the academic side of the discourse but it felt good to be (almost) back in a uni lecture again. It's actually been posted to Youtube and if you're interested in a little bit of history of the idea of plagiarism, ownership and theft of ideas, and where we are with it in modernity, it was very interesting. Especially for those of us who attended and/or worked at universities. 
Social Intelligence: this one involves talking with people, something that I find very difficult, believe it or not. I overanalyze what I say, except with a very few people, and so in-person conversations and discussions leave me exhausted. Even if the people I am conversing with are ten years old, as they were in the two classes I subbed in this week. Part of Social Intelligence on my Wheel is aspiring to speak honestly about my feelings but when I am faced with some overactive 4th graders who really DON'T want to follow instructions and don't listen to them either, speaking honestly leaves me feeling like a witch. Not the good kind either. Oh well, they're not the only ones I spoke to this week as I pushed myself out the door and went to Episcopal Church meetings. Which I felt good about, it always gives me a chance to check myself on what I truly think and believe because, without the feedback from friends, I sometimes wonder if I am being truthful about what I REALLY believe and value. As I wrote last week, I "say" I want to lose weight, be healthy, eat moderately but give me a stressor, or sit me in front of a computer for an hour, and my hand starts groping for whatever snack I can find. 
There's no strength on my meaning wheel for eating though. Except, ironically in the Curiosity slice which suggests "Try a unique food from another culture". I guess revisiting my childhood by eating a Twix bar, which one of the teachers left me as a treat, doesn't count. Sigh.
On to Perspective: I like this one, "listen carefully to others." Last Sunday I listened to a Zoom meeting through Susan Cain's "The Quiet Life" Substack. She was in discussion with Angie Kim who went to Harvard to become a lawyer, discovered once she graduated that she hated it and became a novelist instead. She's written two books so far, "Happiness Falls" and "Miracle Creek." Based on what she said in the Zoomcast I've borrowed both from our library. Now I have to finish "Foe", also borrowed from the library. I have been borrowing from the library as much as I can as, sadly, my book budget this year is more constrained due to the unfortunate credit card situation. Anyway, back to listening carefully. There were a few "ah hah" and "oh yes" moments in the discussion. One was when Kim, talking about remembering her childhood, referred to "opening a box in the attic of my mind". And I thought, wow, what a great way of describing when someone asks you about something you haven't thought of for years, but still can access in your memory. All those boxes in my mind! Whew!! 
And the other point I want to mention, where I really tried to listen to what they were saying but am not sure I understood what they meant was "What is the baseline of my life?" Huh? Baseline? What's a baseline, what do you mean? After the Zoomcast ended I tried to Google it but I am not sure I really understand it. I guess it would be like the assumptions we have about our life should be? What we want it to be? Anyone want to help me out there with this, because it sounds like an interesting way to look at things.
There are two more strengths in my wheel, Gratitude and Spirituality. Those two are very often joined together for me. At my age, I am so grateful to still have my physical strength and my intellectual ability. I see so many people my age who are struggling with one or the other. One of the aspects of Gratitude was "be mindful of small things you take for granted". Yesterday I washed my bedsheets and as I was heaving the mattress up to get the fitted sheet back on (did it shrink in the wash?) I was so thankful I still had the strength to do it. And for the top sheet, I was thankful I can still do--sort of--hospital corners. I was thankful I was going to have clean sheets to sleep in. I was thankful I didn't live with someone who expected the sheets to be ironed.... Yep, gratitude!! 
And for Spirituality, I have a daily verse that comes up on my cellphone. There are a lot of parts of the Bible that I argue with. I feel there is too much emphasis on exclusivity, patriarchy, and violence. But when I stop stamping my foot, I am able to read so many passages for their beauty, their poetry, their reminder that human beings aren't (IMO) the be all and end all in this world, these universes. I believe there IS a higher power, something that pushes us to be better than we are. 
So I am going to end this week's post with a link to the wonderful Streisand singing "Lessons to be Learned" on Youtube which is from the same album as "Avinu Malkeinu". 
Enjoy, and if you have any thoughts about baselines in our lives I am all ears :)



Comments

  1. I've heard of a baseline for life as the basic values you personally have for your foundation. Like the old work hard, play hard :-) but with perhaps a bit more thought and attention.

    Thanks for the pointers to the books. I have put myself on the waitlist. I love being able to get books from the library. It's a special place for me although I've become a completely virtual client in the last few years. What a treat to be able to load my kindle with new things to read at any time.

    I love Barbra Streisand's voice.

    For whatever reason blogger won't let me comment in any way but anonymous. I don't feel like spending too much time on why so.... I enjoy reading your thoughts! Glad you're posting again - Marcella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcella, even I end up coming out as Anonymous on Blogger unless I remember to change my name beside the "Comment as: in the line above where I am typing the comment. That is, before I hit the Publish button, I click on the down arrow beside Anonymous and put my Name (I don't bother with a URL because I don't have a URL) and then my name comes up. But I appreciate your being here whether your moniker is Anonymous or whatever ;) Valerie

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I