Skip to main content

Settling in at Breffny House, Dunmore East!

This past week was challenging both in terms of health (back was still painful and tender) and in terms of patience. With the prospect of our nice cottage awaiting us in Dunmore, staying at Ballitore was difficult. Especially as, because I couldn't really walk very far without pain and there was nowhere in the house that was comfortable to sit except a straight back chair, life was a bit dull. So we watched quite a bit of youtube and kept changing our moving plans. We were originally going to move on the 17th. And then we decided we would move on the 15th. And then, because church is in Waterford, we decided we would move in on the afternoon of the 14th and save ourselves an hour's journey. And finally, when Brian the realtor said he was fine with our moving in any day we wanted, we decided to move in on Friday the 13th.

Packing the car was quite a job. Even though we had a larger car than we had arrived in, we had bought a few rather bulky pieces like a duvet and a TV and a printer. I bit my tongue as Richard squeezed stuff in (I had wanted to do two trips). But as usual, he was right and everything DID fit even if the dog was boxed into a corner in the back seat. Speaking of Mitzi, she was very upset as she saw us packing stuff and starting to load the car. Although it was 0º outside, she sat by the car and even tried to climb in a couple of times before we were finished packing. Determined not to be left behind. She is very happy now in our home in Dunmore.

Ahhh, Dunmore!! As we got out of the car I looked down on part of the village and out to Hook Lighthouse:



What you see is a third of the "main street" in Dunmore East. Several little shops that are a mere five-minute walk away. As opposed to no shops in Ballitore. That was the first thing I was grateful for. I was also grateful that it is such a picturesque village and then that the house is well appointed and cozy. Richard thinks I am crazy but I put together a little video, a walkthrough the house. But it was too big to put into Blogger so I will have to wait until we have high speed broadband and then I will upload it to Youtube.

We are still getting things organized but as the house was a short-term let, fully furnished and equipped, so much was already there--the stove, oven, washing machine, dishwasher (no dryer but a dishwasher), microwave and the teeny tiny fridge. We have been talking about getting a fridge/freezer combination but, the vagaries of January sales, every time we try to order one, it is sold out. So we are pretty well decided we may just live with this and perhaps get a small freezer.

So the first night, we sat by the fire:



And when I went upstairs, this was the view from my window seat:


It was pretty cold the first night though. The house hadn't had the heat on for a couple of months and the temperature had dropped to 0º C for two nights. So even though we had the radiators going for hours, Richard was huddled in his jacket in front of the fire and said he was very cold all night with two wool blankets on his bed. I was fine under the duvet and as a result yesterday we hit up Tesco, Home Stores, and Harvey Norman and got him kitted out with bedding. But Home Stores was out of memory foam bed toppers so they will be coming in a few days.

We are discovering how far we want to push the "simple life." Weighing aching backs against going to the shops a little more often because the freezer is so small, we chose to solve the back problem and worry about food storage a bit later. As we continue down the road, we will see if we learn to make do with the small fridge freezer or whether we need to branch out. The irony was that in church today, the sister who taught in Relief Society spent several minutes encouraging food storage, outlining what could be stored for two weeks, two months and a year. Two weeks? We can't fit enough food for a week into our fridge. Or, at least, not the way we have been eating. So we have to choose--choose the menu to fit the parameters of our fridge AND find a way to have two weeks' worth of food without going to the shop (perhaps going back to my days in Montreal as a child and eating from cans a lot) or, back to the original issue, get a bigger fridge. The conundrum is quite silly really as most of the world's population eats day-to-day and count themselves blessed if they eat enough to survive every day. I remember a brother who was visiting from Sierra Leone a couple of years ago and when someone in church asked him how his branch handled food storage he said that they were grateful if they had food for tomorrow. Oh well, given that we do still have to drive to Tesco ten minutes away for groceries, making less trips makes sense.

I have taken Mitzi on several walks. I wish I had had my camera yesterday as I introduced her to the beach and the tide. She loved the beach but stayed well away from any incoming water. She scrabbled along the rocks but, again, avoided any little puddles. I stayed on the beach as I don't trust my back. She was fascinated by the gulls and some larger birds that looked like a cross between a cormorant and a pelican. Since I can't even tell the difference between seagulls and kittiwakes, I am going to have to bone up on my bird knowledge. Jean, your birding friends would love it here.

It surprises me that we haven't been in Ireland a month yet. It feels like I have lived here all my life. Mind, Richard is still doing all the driving until Dave-our-mechanic finds us a Fiat 500 or something equally small. R hates driving in Ireland, absolutely hates it. As one of the sisters put it in Relief Society this morning, Brigham Young planned Salt Lake City with foresight for needing wide roads but Ireland simply turned cattle tracks into roads. 

Still for all the hair raising car trips, there is this to enjoy, walking at dusk:








Tomorrow we are off to Woodlands Leisure Centre so Richard can go swimming (I will read a book or walk around outside, depending on the weather) and then we will find the "PPS Allocation Centre" so we can get our identification numbers and then apply for our free railway and bus cards.  

And now for Richard's poem

Reminiscing on 1916

I am sitting by the window bay
The sun slowly rising from the sea
Illuminating night-darkened clouds.
And open the rocky shore
Black and twisted trees.

Irish cottages cold with frost
From the chill night's winter air
March in terraced rows
Chimney pots piercing the brightening sky
Where gulls shriek their plaintive cry
Restless for the sun to climb
To its zenith on invisible stairs.

Sleep now my child
Yesterday was long and hard
But now the bagpipes rest silent
Their mournful strains
Still echoing on the hills
While sheep and cattle slumber
Huddled in deep repose among the dales and rills.

And sleep now my bonnie lass
When respite from the gathering storm
Will break upon the foaming rocks
And all that live in Ireland
Who mourn the darkness of the seas
And the persecution of the land
Will cry to set them free.


An mbeidh scríobh arís i gceann cúpla lá.
(Will write in a couple of days.)





Comments

  1. It's so interesting to read about your experiences. Life is definitely different than in North America.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I