Skip to main content
Fog
By Carl Sandburg

The fog comes 
on little cat feet. 

It sits looking 
over harbor and city 
on silent haunches 
and then moves on.


Sandburg's poem is very appropriate for here, today. I woke to fog and it has "sat" pretty much all day. And at 6:00 p.m. it is still sitting, sitting. Richard is down with one of his horrible chest colds. Perhaps he got chilled when we went walking along Woodstown Strand on Thursday afternoon.



The strand is a beautiful, Oregon-like stretch of beach but the wind was quite cold by the time we went down there at 4:00 p.m. And even an order of fish & chips afterward didn't quite thaw us out. Richard has stuck close to home yesterday and today and doesn't plan on leaving the house tomorrow either. Good plan.

Last Sunday there were no church services in Waterford so, as it was a beautiful day, we decided on the spur of the moment to drive over to Wicklow and spend the night at a dog-friendly hotel called Brooklodge. We were going to visit a couple of stately homes as well as a garden, Mount Usher, but by the time I had driven (yes, I DROVE) over to Mount Usher, it was already noon. We have to learn to allow for windy roads that take twice as long as the distance would indicate.

But Mount Usher was beautiful. When we first arrived, we went in for lunch at the Avoca Cafe, which was packed. It started to drizzle while we were eating lunch but that actually worked in our favor as most people decided they wouldn't actually tour the gardens. We had them virtually to ourselves. So many different varieties of trees! 

Sign in the Avoca Cafe. The garden developers certainly took that to heart!



















Spring is only just arriving in the garden. There were loads of daffodils as you can see, crocuses, early bluebells. And there were a few azaleas blooming, camellias and even rhododendrons. But the people at the information desk said that the garden is at its Spring best in April and May. So we will be back!

The road from Mount Usher to Brooklodge was another one of those "hold on to the door handle Richard" kind of rides. An hour's worth of twists and turns and almost dead stops as another car aimed towards us. Richard grew ominously more and more silent but we made it there safely. Oh, did I mention Mitzi was in the back seat? She, too, was very, very quiet. In fact, if dogs have a sixth sense, I think she was probably praying her little doggie heart out.

Brooklodge was beautiful! They couldn't have been more welcoming and the hotel was indeed very dog friendly. In fact there are doggie hosts--two lovely, slightly overweight, golden retrievers. Dog rooms are set aside so those who are allergic to dog hair need not fear. Mitzi was a bit overwhelmed but grew more comfortable as we walked around the hotel property and she realized that we would all be in the room together. We arrived early enough that I was able to go exploring a cemetery that was actually just off the 10th tee! Managed to photograph all of the legible headstones Sunday evening and the rest Monday morning. When I asked the receptionist about the cemetery, she called an older lady over who told me that there was another, older, cemetery just up the road. So I did that one as well. Many headstones from the 1700s and 1800s. 



There is a chapel at the hotel for weddings




 We stayed at the hotel until check-out time, which was noon. So nice to relax!! Especially as we had the long drive home--only 124 kms but, again, Irish roads. We stopped at Arklow and had lunch at Darcy McGee's Pub. When I saw the sign, I insisted we have lunch there with the Montreal/Canadian connection with McGee. My brother-in-law, Neill Dooley, went to Darcy McGee High School and of course McGee was a famous Irish Canadian patriot and Father of Confederation. The pub is one of a change and the food was quite good.

Sts. Mary & Peter Church, Arklow






A fierce battle was fought in Arklow during the 1798 Rebellion. Over 1,000 rebels killed to losses on the British side of only about 100. There are so many reminders throughout Ireland of its sad history of poverty and oppression. This past Thursday, while Richard was at home with the beginnings of a cold, I drove down a worn farmer's track to a very old cemetery in Ballygunner, about 15 minutes from where we live in Dunmore. The cemetery is no longer used but there were about 30 headstones I was able to decipher. I had to pull ivy and thorns off many of the stones and ended up with stinging nettle rash on my right hand. The earliest headstones were from 1705 and there were also small pillars in the cemetery, unmarked, that I learned later signify famine graves. It was so quiet in that graveyard. I didn't feel frightened at all but I did feel quite introspective, thinking of whole families that were wiped out of the area during the Famine by death or immigration.




But to end this blog on an "up" note, I received this photo from daughter Laurie, showing that Quinn received her birthday package from Ireland. Her actual birthday is St. Patrick's Day so of course I included some appropriate wear:









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I