Skip to main content

A story for December 1st

 “Do you like this one?” He showed her his latest creation, framed in the scrolled gold frame he used for all his works, exchanging one for the other almost daily.


She screwed up her face. “No, not as much as the others,” she said carefully. She hated not being effusive about his efforts, knowing how excited he was about each drawing, how these drawings meant so much to him, the only “work” he felt he now produced. 


Retirement was so much harder on men her age than on women she reflected. She herself was thankful not to have to go into an office at a set time anymore, wrangle with people, coax and cajole them, attend meetings where nothing was ever decided. Wiggle her feet in uncomfortable “office” shoes, surreptitiously adjust bra straps, straighten skirts. 


Now she luxuriated in the morning when she awoke, looking at the time and thinking that she didn’t have to rush anywhere. She woke early out of habit and that, too, was a luxury, looking at the spreading light outside, burrowing under the duvet until the central heating clicked on. What would work have looked like now anyway, she wondered, in these days where telecommuting was required, the campuses being shut, COVID warnings everywhere. Would her staff have been laid off? Would she have had a whole new set of challenges....


She shook herself back to his question, looked at his crestfallen face. 

“Oh, you don’t like it,” he said. 

“I didn’t say that,” she replied. “I just feel that scrolled gold frame is wrong for that drawing.” Unlike his other works, this one was pale, a series of Picasso-like dots that coalesced into a beach scene. “The frame overpowers it.” 

He lumbered out of the kitchen and she thought nothing more of it until, walking down the hall, she saw that the drawing had replaced another one, one that she HAD liked. 

“Hmmm,” she thought. “So much for my opinion.” And then she caught herself. 


This was how marriages start to crumble post-retirement and especially during these COVID times. The little things become major when nothing else intervenes. 

When, during this time of stay-at-home, every interaction becomes a minefield for an explosion of hurt feelings, of pent-up emotions. When the realization comes that this person that you had once longed to spend every waking moment of your life with had somehow changed into someone you would barely want to spend an hour with.


Did HE feel the same way, she wondered. Was he tired of their relationship, wondering where life would take them next? She looked over at him, asleep on the couch at 9 in the morning, wearing the same t-shirt he had worn for the past several months, the underarms worn away, wearing away more with every wash.


Or was she, as he sometimes said when he felt guilty about no longer displaying the same passion for  her as he had earlier in their marriage, his mainstay, the thing (that word, “thing”) that made his life bearable. “Like a child’s beloved teddy bear,” she snorted to herself.  Forgotten until some event drove the child to grab it as a defense against an unfair, cold world. 


She marched to the laundry room, grabbing the dog’s leash from its peg, Clancy dancing at her heels. These thoughts were just NOT worth having on this bright beautiful day, the first day of December, when the promise of the Christmas season and, more potently, the promise of this awful year of 2020, with its pandemic and almost continuous bad news/fake news and contention, would finally end and 2021 would usher in a vaccine and hope of new beginnings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I