Skip to main content

ESL Class

I had my first solo adventure today. Took the local bus into Waterford, got my hair cut and then taught an ESL class at Waterford Library. I have taken buses all around various cities in my life. Sometimes I get lost, sometimes I don't. I have no innate sense of direction. Really, you ask? Really. It really does exist you know--not having a sense of direction. As I typed this I asked myself whether not having a sense of direction was physical. So of course I Google'd it and came up with this interesting article: http://www.medicaldaily.com/sense-direction-where-am-i-get-lost-378977. Yep, something is definitely lacking in my hippocampus, always has been. When I was a little girl I could walk out of Eaton's on Ste Catherine and turn the wrong way, even though I had been going out that door for years. And heaven forbid I go out the wrong door! I did learn, though, to watch for landmarks--is that church on the wrong side of the street for the direction I want to go? Did I see that turquoise building before? Actually the turquoise building example belongs to my friend Jean who noticed that we had turned before the turquoise building in Nogales, Arizona and thus if we passed it, we were going too far. Good thing she noticed it or she, Tom and I would be trying to explain our way back into the United States from Mexico.

Still, I LOVE GPS, positively love it. I even use it walking, as I did today in Waterford. I do agree, however, with the article's warning that using it too much will make our brains lazy. And so I still watch for landmarks and only use the GPS when I am worried about getting somewhere in time.

Haircut went very well. Dervla is very professional, very quick. I think she did a great job



I feel, lighter, younger--well, a little younger. I walked along the streets of Waterford with a bit of a bounce to my step. Isn't it odd the way something like that can lift us up? Today was a very misty day, more typically "Irish" than we have seen for awhile. Crossed back and forth across the river a few times. Actually, there are three rivers that meet in Waterford--the Suir, the Barrow and the Nore ( always throw some geography in there to remind myself that geography exists.) 



Even though it was misting (not raining--Irish mist), I really enjoyed walking around Waterford as I waited for the 3:00 ESL class. It still reminds me of Montreal, the old buildings, the grayness. Yep, I like gray. I grew up with gray. I know that it gets to some people but not to me. Well, ask me again in about eight months.

I truly enjoyed the ESL class. Apart from the two missionaries who coordinate the class on behalf of our church (no religious instruction in the class though), there were 11 students. Two middle-aged women from Belarus, a middle-aged lady from Bangladesh, a younger woman who said she was Italian but had been living in the Dominican Republic, a Japanese woman, a young Sudanese man, a young German student at the university, a young man from Pakistan, two middle aged women from Lithuania, a man from Algeria. All have rudimentary English and when I asked them what their goals are for coming to the class, some said they want to improve their spoken English, the young German girl said she wanted to increase her vocabulary, the Japanese woman said she wanted to practice her English pronunciation, etc. 

I have no specific training in ESL--I did teach, as a volunteer, very basic English through the Laubach Method years ago in Hamilton. At that time my students were an Italian who was illiterate even in his own language and a young man who was going blind. He, too, was illiterate and needed to learn to read so he could then read Braille. Both students were quite a challenge as they weren't very motivated. These students though are eager to learn--although I will have to keep the two Belarus ladies from chatting too much to each other in their language. I am trying to come up with a plan for them. I wish I had access to books!! As it is, the missionaries can print out worksheets from an ESL website and I am calling upon my memory of learning Spanish a few years ago for how to conduct the class. Start with some kind of introductory idea where I talk about a part of life for a few minutes and then get each to give their own experience. I also wish I could have brought my projector with me from the U.S.! I could have done so much more. Still, I am basically a creative person so I will come up with something.

The class is only an hour long so I can't get too ambitious for each lesson. I left them with an assignment--this week they had to ask someone for directions to a place in town and listen to what the person said. And to go into Tesco (or another food store), think up some kind of food they like and ask the person to tell them where it is. And if they didn't understand, to ask the person to repeat themselves. We will see what they come up with for that--I barely understand some Waterford folks' accents! I am trying to encourage them to speak to people and that was all I could come up with on the spur of the moment.

I have to ask all of the time. In fact, on my way home after the class, I had to go into a hotel to ask where the bus to Dunmore East stopped. The bus doesn't stop at signs. You have to know where to stand. I had already asked, via email, where the bus stopped and got the vague reply "at the Tower Hotel." But which side of the street? Which corner? I asked at the reception desk and they actually gave me the right answer. So, proudly, I made it home with no problem. A day successfully negotiated!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I