Skip to main content

Paranoia sets in....

I had a down day today. Not really surprising, I have been dealing with so much change lately and I am tired. It's unrealistic to think I would keep sailing through without some wobbles.

I picked up one of those UK magazines called Woman and Home at the supermarket today. Kind of like those weekly women’s mags in the States that promise huge weight loss in record time and then are full of recipes for chocolate cake and BBQ'd spare ribs.

Anyway, there was an article called “Beat Stress… even when your world is in a Whizz” which featured short snippets from popular self-help books. The comment from Eckhart Tolle, who wrote “The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment” got me thinking:

“Problems are mind made. Ultimately, it’s about realising there are no problems. Only situations—to be dealt with now, or left alone and accepted as part of the present moment until they change or CAN be dealt with. Ask yourself what “problem” you have right now, not next year, tomorrow, or five minutes from now. You might be carrying in your mind the insane burden of 100 things you will or may have to do in the future, instead of focusing your attention on the one thing you can do now. Make the decision to create no more problems, no more pain.”

I have no situation that NEEDS to be dealt with at present. The dog’s been fed, I can’t continue transcribing the rest of my Irish cemetery until my iPad recharges, and cooking dinner is half an hour away. So I can just sit and “be”—aaghhhh! My mind can’t deal with that. Instead it digs up my concern over how my landlady MIGHT be feeling about our leaving earlier than the three months we had originally said we would be here. And then the internal argument begins—

Val #1: This place is a dump. The house we’ve just rented in Dunmore East is way better, cheaper, everything works and there actually IS a village you can walk to that has grocery stores and people.
Val #2: Well she intimated that it might not be up to your American standard, that it was a 200 year old cottage. But I do agree she was obscure about the fact that the “village” that is nearby is just a collection of houses.
Val #1: Yeah well she only intimated about the house after she had me hooked with the description of the beautiful setting and pictures of the outside (it really looks beautiful outside.) And the furniture that was in the place in the photos isn’t the furniture that is here now. The previous tenants took their good stuff and the owners replaced it with stuff they had stored in their attic. Hard Futon-type sofa. No lamps except for one with no bulb and no shade. We live in candlelight-type dimness with only the bulbs in the old overhead lights. Let's not even talk about the inside of the closets and the exposed bathroom pipes with cruddy insulation foam squeezed in all the corners. Or the door handle in the second bedroom that is hanging off with no screws to put it back and tighten it. The washing machine that only has one cycle (at least it's cold water.) The mystery of what to do with the trash that never gets answered. That’s way more than “not quite up” to American standards.
Val #2: Well, you had a choice. Either put up with it, paying more attention to her feelings than yours or speak your mind. You chose to confront the issue because of how you felt. Richard would never have confronted her. Not his style. English and Irish folk are much more plain speaking than Americans are. Besides, she said two weeks ago when you did tell her that you two weren’t comfortable in the house that you should look for something else and she would have no trouble renting it. And she was fine last week when you texted her and said that you had found something and were moving. Why are you still carrying this?
Val #1: Because she hasn’t had any contact with us since then—she didn’t invite us over for the promised New Year’s celebrations.
Val #2: And this is a problem. . .why? In a week and a half you will never see her again and she’s highly unlikely to go on Facebook and slag you.
Val #1: Oh, go on Facebook and slag me!! I never thought of that!
Val #2: Oh good grief!

Obviously, Val #2 is much more pragmatic than Val #1. I think that Val #2 would like to just “be” if Val #1 would stop bugging her.



Time for bed methinks. But let's end with something upbeat--like how wonderful Simon & Garfunkel still sound after 50-odd years.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I