Skip to main content

Here's to 2017!!

This past weekend has been very quiet. We went out on Saturday during the day, visiting garden centers. Garden centers here carry more than just plants and gardening implements. They have clothing, accessories, kitchen stuff, etc., as well as a restaurant. I bought a new raincoat (as my other "dress up" one was in the lamented luggage) and a non-stick frying pan. Now I can cook fried eggs with ease. Ah yes, quite the gourmet cook I am. A dab hand at reheating a Tesco casserole and excellent at spaghetti bolognese. I am planning to attempt scalloped potatoes for a church pot luck next Sunday.

Mitzi came along with us on our jaunting around the countryside. One of the garden centers had a lovely forest walk that was dog friendly so she enjoyed that. We went down to a pond to see the geese who luckily were behind a fence. It was double trouble as far as Mitzi was concerned--the dreaded water and these large hissing birds.

Being a passenger in a car driven by an American is a frightening business. When Richard made another comment about my not driving with him in the car, I reminded him that the perspective from the passenger seat is altogether different than from the driver's. You see the walls and hedges practically nose to nose and you think at any moment you are going to land in one. But really you are a good three inches from the curb. And there is no such thing as a straight road on the 'R' roads.

Now the M roads are a different story. They are great. When we went to church yesterday we only saw three other cars on the hourlong journey to Waterford. And they are straight and the lanes are wider. Not as wide as American lanes I think, but wider than the N and R roads here.

We had been invited out for New Year's Eve by a family we met at church last week. The Ryans, Willie and Mary. But they live in Tramore, which is an hour and a half's drive each way from where we are right now. They offered for us to stay the night but we explained about Mitzi. We will be much closer when we move to Dunmore East but as it was New Year's Eve, nighttime and we do have some N and R roads to negotiate on the way down, we said thank you but rain check please. We spent New Year's Eve very quietly, watching old All Creatures Great & Small episodes on the computer.

And yesterday was COLD. Not Montreal cold but very nippy. So we just went to church--which, with the journey there and back takes four hours anyway--and came back to watch more All Creatures and to enjoy a Tesco cottage pie. Cottage pies here are made with beef, shepherd's pie with lamb. Thought you might like to know.

There was a farewell at church yesterday--the missionary couple we had met last week who are returning to Utah after 18 months in Scotland and Ireland--and our Relief Society (women's group) President, who is from Italy, had brought this very decadent trifle cake to share after church. All sponge cake, fruit, custard and whipped cream. That did me for my cake consumption yesterday. Despite her trying to ply me with more, I stopped at one small slice. It will amaze some of you that I have cut back on my sweets here. There are just too many of them and after the Christmas celebrations I have actually had enough. I no longer swoon with ecstasy over the dessert counter at cafes and restaurants. Heck even the petrol stations here have cake counters with fresh made scones, cream eclairs and other treats that put Little Debbie cakes into the shade!

Well, it is Monday morning, second day of the new year. -1 Celsius right now and it is finally light here. It takes a lot longer for daylight to appear than in Arizona. It seems to me that in Arizona it takes about 15 minutes to go from dark to light. Here it takes about 45. We are mulling over what to do. It is Bank Holiday so things will be quiet around town. I have a cemetery lined up to catalogue so we might go out and do that once it gets a few degrees warmer. And of course Mitzi will still want her walk regardless of weather. We all miss the doggie door but occasionally a chicken escapes from our landlord's pen and so I really don't want her wandering around outside just in case. A goose would be off putting but a chicken....

Well, let's look at the camera and see which photos I took on Saturday....

Mitzi and the geese
Forest walk near Rathwood Garden Center

River Barrow and Leighlinbridge


Hoping for handouts, Barrow river

What's left of the Black Castle

Description of the history of the Black Castle

If you double click on the photo of the plaque, you should be able to read it.

Comments

  1. Beautiful, Val! It sounds like you are thriving in Ireland. What a great place to thrive!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I