Skip to main content

Of backs and Powerscourt

This past Thursday, the day after my "down day", the only thing of note that happened was that I tried driving a different car. David suggested I try an Auris, which is the European version of a Corolla. I enjoyed driving it, Richard was still nervous but David, who was sitting beside me in the front, reassured him that I was doing just fine. But the car is a 2004 and rather tired looking. So it is was a no go. We asked David if he could find us a Fiat 500 which, as Jerry knows, is our favorite small car. He said he will probably have one in three weeks.

The rest of the day we spent at home, watching The Sandbaggers, an old TV series about British Secret Service, and as we were both feeling rather tired, napping. Thus ended Thursday.

Friday morning we were getting ready to go out for awhile so our landlady could take photos for daft.ie (the rental website.) I bent over to pick up something and--OUCH! My lower back felt like an elastic that had been pulled just too far. I managed to straighten up but the elastic didn't really retract and settle down; it pinged and pinged. The rest of the day was a blur of Paracetamol (Irish version of Tylenol) and trying to find a comfortable way to sit down and get up. So we didn't do very much yesterday either.

This morning I felt better and as the day was forecast to be partly sunny, I suggested we go over to Powerscourt. The seats in the Mercedes are more comfortable than anything in the house. We consulted the three possible routes and decided to take the most "scenic" route. R roads--one step below N roads. The scenery was indeed beautiful--we were driving the roads that are part of the famous Wicklow Way--but the roads were hairy. Think of everything you have ever heard about Ireland's narrow, windy roads, and that is about right. But oh the scenery! I don't know who had it worse though--Richard who was driving or me who had to ease myself out of the car to take the photos (danged back!!) Mitzi was in the back and every time we stopped she got excited, thinking we she was going to go bounding out over the fields. Sorry, Mitz, not this time.





















Finally, about an hour and a quarter after we set off, we arrived at Powerscourt House and Gardens. Powerscourt has been voted the "Third Most Beautiful Garden in the World" by National Geographic in 2014. Before we left this morning, Richard had wondered if we should wait until March to see it in bloom. I read, however, that Powerscourt is beautiful at any time and felt there were a few reasons we should see it now: (1) when we move to Dunmore East, we will be farther away, (2) there will be more people in March, and (3) today was going to be partly sunny and we had nowhere else to go.

Powerscourt IS beautiful! Even with no flowers blooming, the landscaping, statuary, water features are soul satisfying. And there were quite a few people there today anyway. The main building, Powerscourt House was originally a medieval castle that the 1st Viscount Powerscourt had redesigned and added to between 1730-1741. But, as happens so many with these old castles and buildings, a fire destroyed the interior in 1974. Today the interior contains some interesting gift and design shops and, of course, a cafe and restaurant. We had lunch in the cafe and visited the design shops after we had seen the gardens. Ah the gardens--I can't possibly describe them properly so here are the photos:




Pet's Cemetery--much-loved dogs, ponies, horses and cows












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January 2024 and blogging

  I haven't posted on my blog for a long time. Partly that was due to not knowing what to write about and partly it was wondering if I wanted to put myself "out there" anymore. And in what way. I subscribe to a few blogs on Substack, which is a subscription-based blog. You can pay to have your own blog, you can pay for someone else's blog, and that means you get to write and post and get comments back from a whole lot of people. You can comment on other people's blogs--if you pay--or else you can just read the blog and not pay. Of course you might miss some of the "pay only" content--much like modern news media has teaser stuff but to read the whole article, you have to pay for a subscription. The Substack blogs cover all kinds of topics and there are a few "professional" writers--meaning they're journalists and writers who have published and been paid larger bucks than the $5 a month they get per subscription on Substack--but I think most

It’s just another day

  Yesterday was the final day of my 8-day assignment in a 4th grade class; I’ve written something about that assignment in a previous post, “Revolt of the Guinea Pig,” It’s been a challenging 8 days which, as Dickens might have said, brought out the best in me and probably the worst in me as well. But yesterday morning I had that experience that every teacher dreads—shelter in place, also known as possible shooter situation. I had arrived at the school at 7:20 thinking how wonderful it was that our heat had broken a bit. The skies were overcast, we’d had rain the day before, there was a cool breeze. As I walked to my classroom (photos below of what the buildings look like), I waved to the students already gathered on the other side of the gate, who were waiting to rush in, some to the cafeteria for their breakfast, some to the playground to run and hopefully get some of that energy out before the bell rang at 7:55. I unlocked the outside door to our building, walked down the corridor t

And now for something a little different from the substitute teaching lens

  I subbed for my daughter yesterday. I wasn’t sure how I’d cope as I am still somewhat jet lagged but she has a very well behaved fifth grade class: they’re respectful, good humored (most of the time) and willing to learn (most of the time). She warned me the night before that there had been some “issues” this week—kids fighting on the playground, some backtalk in class from a boy who’s normally a very hard worker. With that in mind, I started off my day in the classroom addressing this up front. “I hear it’s been a tough week,” I said and then waited for a response. Some shifting in the chair, some rolling of the eyes, a couple of “Yeah, it really has” emanated from the kiddos. I then sat on the corner of my desk and talked about how I remembered being their age, the emotions, how things seem so very important, so very “raw” in the moment. I shared with them how my own teachers reacted to misbehaviors, after-school detention (Wow, Mrs A, AFTER school? They could DO that?) But then I